Healing scar tissue/old suspensory injury

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
A new horse I’ve had a few weeks was scanned today and found to have an old suspensory injury as a result of an old fractured splint bone.

The old injury healed but he has (recently) damaged some of the scar tissue fibres and is now on box rest.

Has anyone had this before and any treatments you found worked? I don’t want this to be a reoccurring problem as insurance won’t cover anything because it’s clearly an old injury (even though I had no idea).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I didn't have a good outcome with scar tissue, my horse had a tendon injury which was an old injury before I owned her, she injured it again and after 2 long stints of box rest she would stay sound for about 2 months then go lame again, she had an mri which confirmed the tendon was healing with scar tissue which is not as strong so it just kept breaking down, there are treatments but hers was too extensive to have any impact and she couldn't have steroid as she had cushings so she was retired at 14.:(

I would speak to your vet about treatments and what your options are as I don't think box rest alone is very successful, I know you say insurance won't cover it but for the sake of a bit of money it might be worth doing all you can.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I do have access to an ARC equine, he’s been having it daily for the last two weeks.

he’s sound (and happy) the damage to the scar tissue is very minor but damaged nonetheless.

I was looking at PRP/IRAP/shock wave but these all seem to be for new ligament injuries not re-injured scar tissue.

Inda

Visit site
I would really recommend a class 3 medical laser therapy and acupuncture.

The dog had a chronic tendonitis, torn when she fell down a hill, which was vastly improved with the combo.

The difference in the horses superficial surgical scar (the saddle was going sit directly on top of it) was a miracle. She would kick and bite if you touched it, now it’s flat, not lumpy and she doesn’t care if you touch it. It was a major concern we wouldn’t be able to back her due to its location.