Healing vibes needed *gory pics warning*

Keltic

Visit site
I arrived at the yard this morning to find both girls looking out of their doors and both munching hay, i went to get the feeds and when i got to Kelly's door I realised we had a problem, somehow (dont know how) she has managed to rip open her face.

I rang the vet and my husband, who both arrived at the same time. The vet sedated her and clipped the areas, cleaned it all up and then has managed to staple one section but has had to leave the other open. Im praying now it doesnt get infected.

She is now on 2 weeks box rest and can be hand walked only bless her she will not be impressed!

See at 31 years old she is still managing to get into trouble!! She was most un concerned with all the fuss and tucked into her breakfast happily!! Whilst I had a nervous breakdown!

photo0042.jpg

photo0043.jpg

My beautiful girl

100_0670.jpg

somethingorother

Visit site
Bloomin heck poor girl! How do they manage to do it????? Fingers crossed it doesn't get infected and heals as quickly as possible! I would be interested to see the progress it makes though.

Doris68

Visit site
Oh poor lady - really hope she heals well.
As a mature woman, she really shouldn't be throwing herself around her stable like that!
Get well soon!

Keltic

Visit site
My poor baby its one of those things that horses do that have you scratching your head thinking How on earth???......

Im off to go stock up on mint and yummy stuff for her to eat as she has the dreaded antibiotics!!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Treacle sarnies for the antibiotics ;)

(having said that - only tricked ours once with that - he was onto use after one sandwich :D )

cundlegreen

Visit site
I suggest that you wash it twice a day with warm water with a few drops of lavender and tea tree essential oils. Not more than 5 drops each to a pint of water. The lavender will take all the soreness and bruising away, and the tea tree is one of the best antiseptics about.

appylass

Visit site
My then 31 year old did a very similar thing a couple of years ago, it couldn't be stitched at all. Within a fortnight you could barely see it at all and now there is no trace. It's amazing how even these oldies heal themselves. Apple juice works for mine to disguise meds, every time.

emmaln

Visit site
Poor girlie and poor you! They like to scare the bejesus out of us don't they!!! Sending vibes, I'm sure she'll heal fast and the weather is on your side from the infection point of view no yucky flies around!

foraday

Visit site
Goodness me they do know how to worry you!

Ask the vet for a 50ml syringe-cut the end off a bit and use warm ribena to mix up the antibs and syringe into mouth! Easy!

For the face aloe vera! Lots of! Will heal in no time at all.

You can also get aloe vera juice to put in the water as well

Good luck

Keltic

Visit site
Well she is feeling ok as just took her for a walk, but she rather dragged me along! Think she will have to have a bridle on for future excursions!!
Thanks for all the well wishes will let you know how it heals xx

abina

Visit site
Just goes to show ... what on earth do they get up to after we tuck them up all safe and sound for bed ! it's a good 'un I will say ! Hope it heals ok and doesn't cause any trouble.
Keep us all posted ! xx

wellsat

Visit site
Thats looks horrific, what an awful shock for you to find her like that. Sending thoughts your way, hope she heals quickly.

V1NN

Visit site
Oocha boys! that looks a sore 1! hope the old girl is feeling better soon. My boy knows how she feels on the box rest thing, he's only 2 and has 2 weeks left of 8weeks box rest and is going demented as am i! i seem to be his play toy lol.x

Keltic

Visit site
<<<Healing vibes to your old girl >>>
Suggest Manuka Honey as an excellent healing 'cream/remedy'.
Good luck, keep us posted on her progress.

Is it a special pure one? Do you just apply it? Can you get it from anywhere? One of the vet students mentioned it this morning but tbh the state i was in I never took it in!!