Health cert

JBM

Visit site
Does anyone have any idea if travel health cert would do anything towards a vetting or would you get a travel health cert and a vetting
3 year old horse was broken as a 3 year old

BronsonNutter

Visit site
An export health cert is not the same as a vetting/pre purchase exam - for exports all we check is that the horse doesn’t show signs of infectious disease, is the correct horse with the correct documentation and isn’t going to drop dead on the transporter. No trot ups, flexion tests, eye exam etc.
Applying for the paperwork is a faff and there’s blood sampling involved now, so would normally go pre purchase exam and blood sample if it passes, then do the export papers after. Hope that helps!

Reactions: JBM

rara007

Visit site
Travel health cert is just is it fit to travel. Ie. Is it weight baring x4 and not terribly lame, does it have snot pouring out or a hole in its side. My vet does usually get us trotting up but it’s not a lameness assessment as such. Do the ppe first, after checking your insurance will accept it…

JBM

Visit site
Thanks guys
Would you suggest a stage 2 vetting for a 3 year old or a 5?

Widgeon

Visit site
Thanks guys
Would you suggest a stage 2 vetting for a 3 year old or a 5?

Can you even complete a 5 stage on a three year old (assuming it's unbacked and therefore cannot be ridden)? Perhaps just ask the vet to complete as much of a 5 stage as is possible / reasonable with such a young horse?

Based on my (limited) horse buying experience I would probably also consider X rays of back and hocks but that may just be because I've been bitten before and am paranoid.

Edited to add - here is a handy thread discussing your exact question: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/vetting-for-a-3-year-old.715238/

JBM

Visit site
Can you even complete a 5 stage on a three year old (assuming it's unbacked and therefore cannot be ridden)? Perhaps just ask the vet to complete as much of a 5 stage as is possible / reasonable with such a young horse?

Based on my (limited) horse buying experience I would probably also consider X rays of back and hocks but that may just be because I've been bitten before and am paranoid.

Edited to add - here is a handy thread discussing your exact question: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/vetting-for-a-3-year-old.715238/
Perfect thanks!

JBM

Visit site
She

raced 3 times but was only broken as a 3 year old..she didn’t last long lost every race so broken this year

Leandy

Visit site
Absolutely not similar and not for the same purpose. Get a proper vetting. Personally I would do a 5 stage or as close as one can get in whatever country this is. I would not bother with x-rays for a 3 year old unless it is an expensive horse. If the horse is broken and has raced then of course you can do a 5 stage.

JBM

Visit site
Emailed 2 vets there (not owners vet) about getting a vetting done so hopefully get back to me soon
It’s Stafford in UK
Desirous - horse and hound is where I’m getting horse from ☺️ Good reviews and offers a trial

Widgeon

Visit site
She raced 3 times but was only broken as a 3 year old..she didn’t last long lost every race so broken this year

That simplifies things then....yes definitely five stage. Good luck.

I would not bother with x-rays for a 3 year old unless it is an expensive horse.

All sound and reasonably sensible horses seem to be expensive now.

JBM

Visit site
£2950 not to bad as she hasn’t done any retraining yet! But didn’t seem like she liked racing too much with her placing ?