Heat and swelling in lower leg

daydreamer

Visit site
hi,

I'm just looking for ideas on what could be the issue. (Note this is a bit of a tricky situation as it is a horse I share/ride with a very novice owner who is away a lot. The horse is on full livery. I have already sent messages to the owner saying if it was my horse I would get the vet out and I plan to try and get the yard to back me up tomorrow.)

About 2 weeks ago horse was slightly lame on left rein when lunged. Trotted up which confirmed slight lameness in off fore. No obvious heat or swelling anywhere except *maybe* a bit of heat in the shoulder muscles just above the top of the leg.

Box rest next day apart from 10 min walk in hand in the evening (mainly due to snow so no T/O). Then T/O as normal.
3 days after lameness on lunge noticed trot up again, horse looks sound. I rode in the school for about 20 min, straight lines mainly walk, some trot, seemed fine.

Then proceeded with work for the next 10 days. Work a bit less frequent than normal and more walk and trot, hardly any canter, to take it easy for a while.

About 10 days after initial lameness I noticed heat and slight swelling in the off fore. More of less the whole leg from knee to hoof. No obvious sites of pain when prodded and poked. I cold hosed and asked yard to check in the morning. Apparently ok the next morning. By that evening when I checked again very very slight digital pulses and a raised/more active blood vessel in that leg but no obvious heat or swelling. Evening after that heat and swelling again. Apparently ok by the next morning. I did't check that evening (Sat) but apparently yard said it was ok (they would have checked at 5pm at the latest whereas I am checking about 5.30/6ish. Horse is coming in at about 3pm).

Tonight heat in the lower leg again, knee to hoof. Raised digital pulses in that leg. Slight filling in the leg including the pastern area.

I'm worried about tendon damage. I didn't think abscess as I thought they are often hopping lame with that but an experienced friend said it could be.

Any ideas?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Could be an abscess. In my experience if they are developing in the heel bulb they can present as on and off lameness for a stupidly long time. But I still think the vet might be a good idea with the leg swelling too.

daydreamer

Visit site
Could be an abscess. In my experience if they are developing in the heel bulb they can present as on and off lameness for a stupidly long time. But I still think the vet might be a good idea with the leg swelling too.
I went to have a feel this morning and there is much less heat and swelling but there is still some heat in the foot. Hopefully it is an abscess. Luckily a yard staff member felt the heat yesterday afternoon and this morning so is going to let the owner know and advise he should see the vet.