Heat in hoof advice please?

GrassChop

Visit site
Hello again!

My horse has recently had an abscess which came out the coronet band and after a week of poulticing, it was still draining and swelling expanded onto the pastern.

The vet gave us two weeks of antibiotics which we finished last Wednesday.

She is not obviously lame on it and there is no swelling now but there is heat.

What is best to do at this point? Should I book in for an xray?

Thank you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Heat is also a symptom of increased blood supply for healing, so if the horse isn't lame I wouldn't worry for a few days, but if she becomes lame I'd get the vet back.

Is she out and moving around? If not, I'd get her out.

GrassChop

Visit site
Heat is also a symptom of increased blood supply for healing, so if the horse isn't lame I wouldn't worry for a few days, but if she becomes lame I'd get the vet back.

Is she out and moving around? If not, I'd get her out.

Thank you, that's reassuring. Yes she is out 24/7.

GrassChop

Visit site
This is the result of the wet poultice put on this morning. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210731_182855.jpg
    20210731_182855.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 17

Schollym

Visit site
Hello again!

My horse has recently had an abscess which came out the coronet band and after a week of poulticing, it was still draining and swelling expanded onto the pastern.

The vet gave us two weeks of antibiotics which we finished last Wednesday.

She is not obviously lame on it and there is no swelling now but there is heat.

What is best to do at this point? Should I book in for an xray?

Thank you.
It is quite possible the abcess hasn’t cleared. We have a mare that was a little prone to them. Vet came out and dug out an area, we poulticed it started to go clear, Appeared to be ok horse sound, then it erupted elsewhere It took eight weeks to clear up. I would recommend involving your farrier early on as they can be extremely helpful in this situation and cause less damage that the vet!

GrassChop

Visit site
It is quite possible the abcess hasn’t cleared. We have a mare that was a little prone to them. Vet came out and dug out an area, we poulticed it started to go clear, Appeared to be ok horse sound, then it erupted elsewhere It took eight weeks to clear up. I would recommend involving your farrier early on as they can be extremely helpful in this situation and cause less damage that the vet!

My vet didn't even dig or anything! She just put a tiny little metal rod through the hole by a couple of millimetres for a second and that was it!
Farrier is due next Tuesday so hopefully he can sort it if there is something there.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It didn't smell, I did give it a sniff lol!

Probably dirt then.

My vet didn't even dig or anything! She just put a tiny little metal rod through the hole by a couple of millimetres for a second and that was it!
Farrier is due next Tuesday so hopefully he can sort it if there is something there.

You don't want the vet to dig the sole if it's already broken out through the coronet.

GrassChop

Visit site
Probably dirt then.

You don't want the vet to dig the sole if it's already broken out through the coronet.

That little section on the left was just slightly shiny looking like I thought it might be gooey but it didn't feel it and it is the same colour as the rest of the dirt on it. There was no residue on the hoof either. Hopefully it is just healing then as you said.