Heat in windgall - unusual?

Visit site
10yr Cob has articular windgall type swelling on outside hind fetlock. No lameness but does rest this foot more. There is heat in the swelling in comparision to other leg. (Which also shows signs of windgall) I am resting him and cold hosing but seem to remember that windgalls do not show heat unless they are developing. He has done some road work recently but nothing too fast. Anyone out there has similar situation with their horse's legs? Wonder how the name WINDGALL came about ....?!

Bri

Visit site
Actually yes...

My boy is currently very lame on the same leg that he has a windgall on, in pretty much the same position as yours. He rests in the majority of the time and there is some heat in it.

Vet has seen it and said it's nothing to worry about and not causing the lameness! Sorry probably absolutely no help to you whatsoever!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Han's windgalls do come up warm every so often so unless lame I wouldn't worry too much... Hannah has them on all four legs (grrr... what are they anyway??) and I used to put Tensolvet on her. BUT, after the vet recommended me getting some ibruleve (for humans) for Han when she had a haematoma, I bought some and put it on her windgalls and they went right down over night.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My boy has them on his front legs. His left outside one seems more puffy than all the others. But he's not lame so havent been too bothered about them, he develped them last year when trying to get him fit for the RC horse trial champs!

They go away in the winter but are otherwise there all the time (during summer etc.). I cold hose them after work on hard ground and put on cooling gel after every bit of exercise (lungeing, flatwork etc.). After fast work like XC I always put cooling clay on too.

Clodagh

Visit site
Very interesting! I bought a 5 year old earlier this year with windgalls on all four legs. Vet didn't think they should cause a problem, but I didn't have a proper vetting as I HAD to have her. (v. v. silly, I know!).
crazy.gif

The hind ones have got bigger over the summer, but she has never had any heat or lamenss in them, although she does rest the worst one a bit more (although hard to tell if I'm just neurotic). I do worry about them causing her problems, but I shall try that ibruleve stuff. Shes quite fine skinned, is Hannah? It didn't hurt her at all? Did you use it on a regular basis? Thank you!
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Han has sensitive skin as things irritate her quite easily... I don't use it all of the time, just when they feel warmer than usual or more swollen.

Some people use Tensolvet a lot on their horses, which is pretty much the same thing as Ibruleve according to my vet