Heavy in the hand

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Although Arch is going really well, he has become very heavy in my hand and feels quite hard in his mouth. His teeth are up to date and he's ridden in a loose ring snaffle, Im just wondering if I should maybe try a different bit?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
You could but in my experience all that will do is mask the issue (assuming yuo use a stronger bit).
Heavy in the hand is generally (but not exclusively) one of two issues
1) Horse is not using its quarters correctly so is on forwand and using rider to balance.
2) Head/neck is locked often around the poll area and is using rider to support the lock.
Both scenarios are indication of horse not working in self carriage. This is what needs to be adressed.

Morrigan_Lady

You could but in my experience all that will do is mask the issue (assuming yuo use a stronger bit).
Heavy in the hand is generally (but not exclusively) one of two issues
1) Horse is not using its quarters correctly so is on forwand and using rider to balance.
2) Head/neck is locked often around the poll area and is using rider to support the lock.
Both scenarios are indication of horse not working in self carriage. This is what needs to be adressed.

A lesson maybe???!! :0)

Winklepoker

Visit site
is it all the time? when he is tired? Does your saddle sit up off his wither? What happens if you just let go? He will only be as heavy as the hands that are holding him up in theory so lots of leg to get him working through and lets of give and take with the reins to ensure he has nothing to lean on. lots of transitions to rebalance and half halts to get him to 'sit' and come back to you. Try transitions within paces too.

Morrigan_Lady

is it all the time? when he is tired? Does your saddle sit up off his wither? What happens if you just let go? He will only be as heavy as the hands that are holding him up in theory so lots of leg to get him working through and lets of give and take with the reins to ensure he has nothing to lean on. lots of transitions to rebalance and half halts to get him to 'sit' and come back to you. Try transitions within paces too.

Yes it is all the time. The saddle is off his wither, although its not the best fitting saddle (Im trying to save to get him a new one!)
Thank you for the tips, Ill def be trying them tonight.

Winklepoker

Visit site
My boys gets really heavy and if I let him go he would probably fall flat on his idiot grey nose! He takes lots of 'sitting up' but once he is there I do 10 minutes and then go in - hope you have fun :)

Morrigan_Lady

How did I know that would be your next question :p
Where are you based now? I might be starting to ride a youngster out wellingborough way so may be able to kill two birds etc.

Haha, I am so predicatable arnt I!!

Im in North Crawley, so not a million miles away. (Ill even stock up on Tea and biccies!)
I just need one lesson to give me some pointers and something to work on. Ive not have a lesson on Arch for years, coz Id been concentrating on Coryn and I know we've both got in to some really bad habits!

misswitch2

Visit site
my girl is always quite heavy in the hands. I find that lots of transition work and lateral work really helps her to engage the back end more and come lighter in the hands (makes me use my legs more and ride her properly too!)