Heavyweight Turnout dilema

Stasha22

Visit site
Help!

I want a new heavyweight turnout for this winter. Ideally I want about 400-450g filling and must have neck cover, preferably not a detachable one.

So, the problem is it appears not many manufacturers actually make anything like this.

Fal do a Viking (400g) or a Goliath (450g), but would have to have it specially made for her as their necks are detachable. Happy to have it made, but sizing is a problem. Have never had a Fal, but do have a Slumberdown which fits her pretty badly. Do the Fals & Slumberdowns fit the same?

Have tried Horseware as they fit her really well and most my other rugs are by them, but they don't make special rugs and the heaviest they offer is 370g with only 100g in the neck cover.

Weatherbeeta have a Taka Combo which has 400g fill but I'm not a huge Weatherbeeta fan so not sure if I want to get one of those.

So, any ideas of any other manufacturers of 400-450g turnouts? Or do you think the Fal might fit ok?

This has been bugging me for about a month now so any help much appreciated!

lillie07

Visit site
The Fals fit very differently to the Slumberdowns. They are far better cut. I love Fal rugs (silver lining are fantastic!), though I do find the detchable hoods rub (not a problem as you want attached anyway) but you shouldnt have to have it specially made- loads of places online still stock the attched as standard. I only normally have Fals or Rambo but last year I bought a Mark Todd Ultimate stable rug and I was really impressed- I love it!!! Maybe have a look into the Mark Todd T/O?! I dont have a rug addiction..... Honest!!!

miller

Visit site
I'd go for either the Premier Equine or the Masta - have one of each and they've both been brilliant.

I've got a shires one I picked up cheap last year but not used it yet so can't comment on it

Stasha22

Visit site
To be honest I do kind of have my heart set on getting a Fal, just unsure about sizes.

How do you find the sizes compare to the Rambos? She takes a 6"6 in Horseware, although 6"3 in some of the stable rugs is also ok.

I had heard that the Fals come up a little big, so not sure if I'll need the 6"3 or 6"6? I would prefer it to be a little big rather than a little small so I'm thinking the 6"6?

lillie07

Visit site
I would go with the 6'6 as Fal recommend going a size bigger than normal with heavyweights. I have the same thing, my mare has 6'0 in some some coolers/ thermatex etc but is a 6'3" in Horseware and her Fals are 6'3" and all fit beautifully.

Louby

Visit site
Isnt Horsewares duo rug heavier in weight. Seem to think they brought a new one out this year too? I found the FAL generously sized but I think they are excellent rugs closely followed by Horseware and Weatherbeeta.

Stasha22

Visit site
You can buy various liners for the Duo, the heaviest being 300g so once added to the actual rug (which is 100g) you would get a 400g turnout.

I have though about going with this option, but I don't really like the idea of the separate liners (even though they are attached to the actual rug). And also, would have the same problem with the hood as it only has 100g fill and ideally I would like a warmer hood.

Haven't completely ruled it out yet though...

Stasha22

Visit site
I bought a Mark Todd combo last year and that has 350g fill.

Have just looked at the website though and they have a new one for this year... 400g fill with 200g in neck for only £85! Definatley one to think about as the Fal is about £230.

Edited to say that upon further investigation, its actually a Jumpers Horse Line, not a MT.

Stasha22

Visit site
It used to, they now make it with 370g. And only 100g in neck which isn't warm enough. Don't understand why they don't put as much fill in the necks?

Law

Visit site
I've got a similar problem... slumber downs are awful fit on him and horseware are great fit. I've gone for a heavy fixed neck, weatherbeeta arion combo and it's like a furnace in it!

Good luck.

Sal_E

Visit site
I think the neck is made lighter to stop it falling down through excess weight. May be easier to use an under rug under a 350g. That said, in terms of warmth, the difference between a 350g & 400g rug is pretty minor.

Stasha22

Visit site
Unfortunately Bucs rugs do not fit her what so ever. Have tried various sizes but they just don't fit. Such a shame as that would have been ideal.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Fal...

Stasha22

Visit site
Have had them in the past and found that they're not very 'deep'. Have not had one of the new styles though so they may be better now. Did look at a Taka TO at the weekend and it did look pretty good, just didn't look overly deep still.

Only way to judge would be to put it on her I guess. Would have to mail order as local tackshops don't stock and it would be a pain to send back if I don't like it. But they do stock Fals so I could try one of them and easily return if don't like.

Decisions decisions!

VLHIEASTON

Visit site
Hi, i sware on the heavy Rambo supremes which are 420 gms with velcro attached hood, and duo's , but fal also do a turnout under rug with silver lining which is very warm, and the Mirotec rug is warmest but expensive, sometimes i put one of them on under a turnout rug.
I have tried every manufactuer (except premier yet )and came back to the Rambos, the actual fal turnouts didnt fit well at all on any of my horses though !. they rubbed on the withers badly..and these rugs were very cumbersome and 'heavy' and no chance of ever washing them in your home washing machine !

I find the Rambos dont rub at all and do not get tight across the chest like all others i have tried so far.
Good luck !

vicky555

Visit site
Have you tried the Amaroni 1680 Denier High neck. I have two of them and they are great. 400 gram filling, high neck with a cone insert to stop my girls manes being rubbed. Havent used them this season yet because it isnt cold enough but last year I wanted to get in next to my horse coz it was so warm !!

check them out here as they are on sale at the moment

http://www.divoza.co.uk/product6550.aspx