Heavyweight turnout suggestions????

caramel

Visit site
So... have just had phone call from yard saying my darling horse has ripped his rug, to the point where the others were chasing him and he's now come in.

That was his HW combo, and I'm going back later to survey the damage! luckily his rug's been changed.

I need to buy a new one asap, as it's meant to get colder and he's a wimpy TB who feels the cold. Any ideas??

caramel

Visit site
oooh yay!! that's always a bonus! Not overly happy as I remember one horse had his rug destroyed by another horse who was 'playing'. I know mine isn't a rug destroyer.

Had a look and premier equine it is!

.Redmerl

Visit site
My TB likes his premier equine, it's known as his tent as it really covers him up. I have found weatherbeeta is a very good alternative and cheap on equestrian clearance website

forestfantasy

Visit site
I have all Weatherbeetas and love them, had the last 4 rugs for at least 4/5 years & still going strong.
Also PE rugs are fab.
I'd also be looking to move into a different field from the rug trasher!

caramel

Visit site
forestfantasy:: I'm going to speak to people when I get down the yard to establish what happened, and look at the damage. Really not happy :(

Thank you for all your suggestions, will have a look at them all. Good thing there are plenty of sales on!

caramel

Visit site
SerenityJane:: My horse is an older (15yrs) TB who has not been well, just come off antibiotics, clipped and loses weight at the drop of a hat. So that's why I rug, to keep him warm. I don't care about how muddy he gets, but I do it for warmth and protection from the weather. His field is on a hill, exposed to the elements and he feels the cold.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'd check the fit first, I tried a PE on my tb and it was so long it was nearly past his knees, I'd be worried about him catching the back when he got up from rolling, seen another horse do it.

Mine is in a field of rug rippers and they all do it including mine and you really see the difference in rugs.
My weatherbeeta takas have fared best, the landa was useless and had several rips within a week, PE come second though someone has had to have 3 mended and worst were the cheaper ones which seem to come in within a day with the neck hanging off and rips on the back.

Serenity Jane yes horses do live out without rug and people winter out tbs no problem especially brood mares and youngstock but January is not the time to remove rugs from an older tb who has been wearing them all winter.

caramel

Visit site
To be honest I wasn't sure how to reply to that without starting something! I've always found a Weatherbeeta works well on him, so will go with what I know works.