Hedge Trimming

Doormouse

Visit site
Probably a really stupid question but is it ok to turn horses out in a field where the hedges has just been trimmed?

Landlord trimming the hedges today, horses are in all day to keep out of the way. Is it ok to turn them back out tonight or is there a risk of them either eating sharp chips or getting a thorn in their foot?

In all my years of having horses I have never had a hedge trimmed before!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, horses can and do pick up shards of hedge and thorns after hedgetrimming, and the pieces fly a long way, at least 50m IME.

Always worth going over the area afterwards picking up the bits. Even so, I've had two horses pick up thorns in the frog over the years, which had to be dug out by the farrier.

Doormouse

Visit site
Yes, horses can and do pick up shards of hedge and thorns after hedgetrimming, and the pieces fly a long way, at least 50m IME.

Always worth going over the area afterwards picking up the bits. Even so, I've had two horses pick up thorns in the frog over the years, which had to be dug out by the farrier.

That was my concern, it is a 5 acre field although one side is there is a large ditch with a stock fence so I doubt they will trim that one. How long would I need to leave it before turning them back out do you think?

hobo

Visit site
My OH will not trim a hedge until the cows will not use the field that field for the winter but they have cloven feet and do not get picked out on a regular basis.

If you have an alternative leave them out if not just keep an eye out. The hedge trimmings will soften and start to rot down with the rain.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Oh dear, I'm a very bad owner then as my horses stay out in the same field as the hedge being cut.

Me too, I'd not have any fields to use if we abandoned the one's that had the hedges trimmed. We have mainly hawthorn hedges as well and the thorns are sharp, but I've never had an issue. Worst thing that has happened to me is a bike puncture!!
Tbh at this time of year, with a bit of rain, the ground is soft enough that if they do stand on the thorns they will get pushed into the mud, only reason my bike gets a puncture is that is on the hard road.

w1bbler

Visit site
Just make a quick check for anything you don't want them to eat - if it's a mixed hedge could there be any oak / sycamore seedlings etc you have missed.

SuperH

Visit site
Mine go straight out too, the sharp thorns last years so unless you are going to go and pick up every tiny bit then they have to take the risk. I pick feet every day and have pulled a thorn out of my chestnuts hoof once, never had one in my black. She did get a short stick wedged between her shoe and frog once though.

Fiona

Visit site
Picking all the little thorny clippings up is bad enough along one edge of our manege, I'd sure hate to have to do it all along all the field boundaries too...

Fiona

OWLIE185

Visit site
Black Thorn is the worst and I put up electric fencing to keep them well away from the hedges that have been trimmed especially with the wet weather coming which softens up their feet. (Paint cooking oil on their feet to repel water and keep them hard)

popsdosh

Visit site
Mine being nosey bored adolescents follow the hedge cutter round the field. I find on the whole horses are fairly discerning about what they pick up and swallow and frankly if standing on thorns can cause an issue how will they ever stay sound with all the sharp stones they come up against. Sorry lifes to short to worry about every risk they may encounter in life.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I also leave them out while the hedges are being cut - they stay at the far end of the field. Our farmer uses a thing that seems to atomize the hedge, I just don't know where it goes! Even on the road side there is almost nothing to be seen lying around.
We are mainly blackthorn, which is vile to cut or handle manually, and any odd branches lying around day to day are hauled off and burned -I'm paranoid since one of mine had a deep puncture injury (probably a thorn tip)in a fetlock which saw him off for 6 months last year and my insurers £1200 lighter!

Fiona

Visit site
I've just remembered that once years ago at a livery yard we were at... my friends serial self harming TB got a bit of thorn hedge stuck at the back of his mouth/cheek and had to have the vet out, but he was (apart from my flora) the stupidest horse on the planet.

I'm sure most sensible horses won't even tough hedge cuttings...

Fiona

SuperH

Visit site
Mine will eat them, especially the hawthorn they seem to like that one. Mine seem to like eating spiky food, they will eat huge thistles, brambles and one year my black mare ate an entire row of very vicious raspberry canes, took me hours to pluck all the thorns from her neck and chest. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm so far.

Fiona

Visit site
Mine will eat them, especially the hawthorn they seem to like that one. Mine seem to like eating spiky food, they will eat huge thistles, brambles and one year my black mare ate an entire row of very vicious raspberry canes, took me hours to pluck all the thorns from her neck and chest. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm so far.

I've had to pluck thorns from mines face and neck too, probably from the rosehip bushes we have in the hedge.... Seen them very delicately eating the thistle flowers without getting prickled too, but never actually eating thorns lol....

Fiona

Clodagh

Visit site
The only time mine came out of the field for any maintenance was when the chain harrows went in with the youngsters, as they chased the tractor I never trusted them not to stand on the harrows. The old ponies that live out their now have better things to do. It would not occur to me to take them out of the field for hedge cutting.