Hee hee... bits again but genuine question re continental gag.

Gingernags

Visit site
bit.jpg
to be precise.

Friend been to look at a nice 6 yo mare, and hacked her out, in one of these. Now I have a personal view of them being the devils work. The mare is VERY sensitive and wary of a contact and throws her head about a lot if you try to take up a contact. Now happy mouth or not, these are harsh bits in the wrong hands aren't they?

She intends to get the mare vetted anyway, but I think is she's throwing her head about, this is most likely the culprit. Owner is a teenage girl (about 18) who showjumps (Personalised sponsored jacket etc - I know, stereotype...)

The mare is sensible to hack, goes front or back, but is a bit forward going in the school, very sensitive to leg and hand.

Any opinions? If the friend gets her and she passes the vet, no reason to think she won't - I'd change her into say a french link hanging cheek and try a few snaffles as I dont think brakes are a problem.

Alibear

Visit site
Odds on the bit has gone on as the mare flips head going into fences so is seen as being strong et voila.

Half the head shaking is probably down to the mare not liking to poll action of this bit.

Certainly no harm in trying her in an other bit if your friend does buy her.

If she wants a half way house theres a the bacuher or drop cheek snaffles (in snaffle of french link varietys) that have a little bit of poll presure.

But if the poll pressure she is objecting to then it wouldn't help.

Definitly also a case for getting a good thorough teeth check.

Rambo

Visit site
Any bit is harsh in the wrong hands....(yawn).....

The fact that the horse is throwing her around though might suggest she is resisting the action of the bit
crazy.gif
Perhaps doesn't like the poll action ? To that end, I probably wouldn't go down the hanging cheek route. Perhaps just a simple loose ringed french snaffle, and work up from there if brakes do become an issue
smile.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Now happy mouth or not, these are harsh bits in the wrong hands aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sawing with a snaffle is very harsh!!
I think if this bit provided adequate extra brakes whilst out hacking thats quite sensible compared to hauling.

Sounds like she could be fussy in the mouth and rather than find a bit she likes, they have backed off with synthetics.
You might have to do a bit of testing to find a bit she likes and will take a contact on.

Gingernags

Visit site
Another friend had a mare that used to throw her head before a jump - and went down the Myler route as the horse didn't like the tongue pressure of her bit at the time. As soon as she changed to allow more tongue room, it stopped completely.

From what I've gathered reading the books, a mullen mouth even though a happy mouth, if it constricts the tongue, stops them a swallowing?

Have tried it myself - put a finger in your mouth across your tongue and try swallowing...

Have loads of bits at the farm that she can try, everything from loose ring french links to hanging cheeks, mylers and jointed copper rollers! I'm sure we can find something!

Benefice1

Visit site
When i first got my horse he was ridden in a jointed gag, he resisted any contact, threw his head around and put it on the side and tried to open his mouth.
He wasn't strong so I changed him to a loose ring snaffle and he is a different horse, he is in no way strong and he works well into the contact.
I also tried him in a hanging cheek but he didnt like that either, he doesnt like the poll action at all.
Sounds just like this mare, think she would be much happier in some kind of snaffle.

chessi

Visit site
I used to ride a 14.3h piebald cob in one of these.
Im only 12 and he was fine with it in, great at jumping.
He didnt mind at all, and was sooo easy to gallop on in hacks.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
From what I've gathered reading the books, a mullen mouth even though a happy mouth, if it constricts the tongue, stops them a swallowing?
Have tried it myself - put a finger in your mouth across your tongue and try swallowing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I'm unconvinced; a horse's tongue is very long, much, much longer than oursand where the bit sits is quite low (comparatively) so I don't think it would restrict swallowing as it's the back of the tongue that goes up when swallowing.
PF is in a straight-bar happy mouth (not a gag) and goes really well in it. I think mares tend to be a bit fussier in their mouths (PF hates french links for instance) so this mare might well go completely differently in a bit with a slightly different action.

Sal_E

Visit site
Hi GM. To answer your question, the mouth-piece on this bit is not harsh, although it does of course have varying degrees of poll pressure - if the horse is approaching a fence & wanting to raise her head (rightly so; to adjust her vision to be able to see the fence properly), the rider possibly takes more of a hold & the mare is then fighting against the pressure.

As you know, because some horses have low palettes/fleshy tongues or whatever, you'll always find certain bits just don't suit them.

In this instance, 1st stop is getting the teeth checked (I'd get in an equine dentist immediately even if the vet doesn't spot anything), then change to a loose ring snaffle - you can try jointed, french-link, peanut etc - just play around to see what seems to suit her. If she's particularly sensitive, you could try a happy mouth loose-ring.

I wouldn't rush to try the hanging mouth/fillet baucher as this also has poll pressure, although to a lesser degree - that said, it may be just enough to keep her quiet in the head but not enough to make her fight it. It's trial & error!

lastchance

www.freewebs.com
I recently got a horse on loan from a college, he was ridden in a mcguinness (spelling) bit, crank flash noseband and a market harborough! all the time! Now happily competing in affiliated dressage in a aurigan lozenge bit and a cavesson noseband!!!!