heel mites - pig oil and sulphur?

griffglen

Visit site
Hi I'm new on here so just learning! Someone said that they treat itchy heels with pig oil and sulphur. I just want to know where you can buy this as I have a hairy cob with very itchy feathers!

Thanks in advance for your help!
G

vicster

Visit site
Hi, well i have never heard of that
smile.gif
- um our old cobwho we are still seeing had feather mites and the guy we sold him to had the vet out and he gave him an injection which costs around £10 and it sorted him
smile.gif

joanne1920

Visit site
hi i was told by a vet if my cob had itchy legs and was stamping his legs it was mites and to clip his legs out and use frintline flea treatment twice with a fortnight in between. My cob had itchy legs when i bought him but wasnt stamping turned out he had mud fever and it was infected and thats why it was itching, the vet should have really picked up on that at the vetting but thats another story!

parsley

Visit site
I beleive that pig oil and sulpher can deter mites and I use it on my cob to aleviate and prevent conditions such as greasy heel. I buy it from CWG - a bit tub of sulpher and a can of pig oil isn't that much at all. look out for a general farming store nearby and you will probably find it - I THINK the make is Battles - if there is no farming store your local tack shop/feed merchant might order it in for you.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have feathered horses and mites can be a problem.

If your horse has them already, ask your vet for some frontline spray. Spray the legs thoroughly rubbing well in and then repeat 10 days time and once more in another 10 days.

You can get an injection, but I have never done this.

I have never clipped the legs out, but mine did not have major scabs and skin problems.

To keep the legs in good condition and mites at bay then use pig oil and sulphur.

If you cannot get it locally, get is from heavy horse supplies. I get 10 litres of oil and 3 kgs of sulphur which is £48 including postage. Lasts my two boys in winter about 2 1/2 months - about £2 a week in winter.

Mix the oil and sulphur so it looks like a thick milkshake and then paint from knee/hock to the end of the feather. Rub well in. Apply every two weeks. I often midway between applications paint on a little oil to keep the feather and skin waterproof.

KEEP WHITE GOLD WELL AWAY - IT WILL GO BLACK. I use rubber gloves but if you don't wear white gold, yellow is fine and it makes your hands nice and soft.

I use about 1/2 - 3/4 litre of oil per horse every 14 days and my two have a lot of feather being a gypsy cob and a clydesdale.

In the summer I wet down the legs every couple of weeks and rub in a few handfuls of sulphur to keep everything mite free. I don't use oil in summer unless it is very wet and muddy.

P&S also help to keep the feather white. Mud slips off too.

Finally, with horses with feather, don't keep washing out the legs in winter. I don't wash out between September and March/April unless showing. Most I do is if they are really clogged up is to use a little cold water on the end of the feather. Part the hair and underneath should be dry and white. Constant washing causes more problems than it cures.

ThomasTank

Visit site
My cob had mites and stamped and he had the injection, one 10 days apart. i dont think it is licenced for horses but is for cattle so you have to sigh a piece of paper to take responsibility. all is well with thomas. Great advice from Theresa F though.
grin.gif