Height as 1yr and 2yr old cob if to make 15hh+

Kallibear

Visit site
Sorry, this has been done many times.

What do you think would be a 'safe' minimum height for a yearling cob (2012 baby) or a 2yr old cob (so 2011) to make at least 15hh?

Having sold my beloved Pippysqueak (to the most amazing home) because he wasn't really big enough (or whizzy enough), I'd quite like another cob baby to grow on and to entertain Roo. I really don't need one but I've got my own land and would quite like on :eek:

This time I'd like something bigger. Piper made it to 14.2hh and a smidgen (if he stood up and breathed in) at 6yrs old. Another couple of inches would have made all the difference.

I've been trawling dragon driving and the likes and the current age related to adult age varies spectacularly. I've seen '13.1hh 2yr to make 15hh+' to '14.2hh yearling to make 15.2hh'. Parentage often unknown so no help there.

I honestly can't remember how big Pips was as a yearling so nothing to really conpare.

As an token reward, here's a very cute 15month old Piper next to 16.2h of heavy hunter.

piperpony029.jpg

Agggg, bloody stupid photobucket doesnt work any more!

Last edited:

tase1965

Visit site
Mine was 13.3 at 15 months, is now just over 15.1 and was 4 in July (Welsh D). Wish I could have another baby to bring up! :)

windand rain

Visit site
the general consensus is 90% of full height at 1 year so a minimum of 13.2 95% at 2 98% at 3 but it really does depend on how well fed they are a babies and how well they have grown on. So to guarantee at least 15hh I wouldnt buy anything under a good 13.2 at birthday of a year or less than 14hh at second birthday except of course it may go a good bit bigger if it has been hungry all its life
Probably a better way is the string height method where the measurement from elbow to the floor is added to the measurement from the point of elbow to the ergot in inches divide by 4 to give the height in hh or measure both in cm to give the adult height in cm

Kallibear

Visit site
Thanks all.

Hum, rather large difference in heights!? Were those measured or just guessed? From experience most people are terrible at accurately guessing heights! 12.3hh to 15.1hh seems unlikely? I'm pretty sure Pips was over 13hh when I got him at a year old.

13.2hh min at a year old (so not much off 14hh now since most will be nearly 18 months) sounds a safe height. A string test would be nice but complicated to ask owners for. They'll be miffed enough asking for exact conformation of current height!

The one I really like is said to make '14.2hh absolutely minimum' but I'd like to know how big I should expect him to be now.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I bought mine at 20 months and he was 14'2 to make 15'2 but he is now 3yrs 4months and is 16hh at the withers and still bum high so expect him to make about 16'2

so reckon something that's about 13.2 would be fine?

Kallibear

Visit site
I bought mine at 20 months and he was 14'2 to make 15'2 but he is now 3yrs 4months and is 16hh at the withers and still bum high so expect him to make about 16'2

so reckon something that's about 13.2 would be fine?

Slightly bigger than planned! I have the same issue with Roo. Meant to be 16.1. Arrived at 20months at 15.2 ish. Now almost 3.5yrs and measured the other day at 16.2. May need a bigger trailer!

Sadly that wasn't a problem with Pips :(

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Slightly bigger than planned! I have the same issue with Roo. Meant to be 16.1. Arrived at 20months at 15.2 ish. Now almost 3.5yrs and measured the other day at 16.2. May need a bigger trailer!

Sadly that wasn't a problem with Pips :(

indeed, I bought a trailer in Dec and was considering getting the 510 but ended up with the 505 as there were more about, now im worried I should have got the bigger one! but hoping he just started growing young, and will stop soon and just level out at 16'1/16'2 ish! luckily I'm 5'7 so the fact that his bigger is probably a good thing! but I do like my 15'2's haha!

cblover

Visit site
My Clyde x trad cob was 14.1 as a yearling, 15hh as a two yr old and now heading towards 16hh as a three yr old. He's much bigger than I thought he'd make. He's just forgot to stop. Lol

putasocinit

Visit site
Put yr two fingers together and go up from the start of the coronary band to below the knee counting 2 each time so 2, 4, 6 etc you will get a very good possibility, do it on the front legs. Try it on horses whose height you know for proof it works