Height certificate for BE? Eventing

foxy1

Visit site
Hello all, I'm wondering if you need a height certificate for ponies to compete BE as the website says minimum height is 142cm?
Thanks

Shay

Visit site
You should do - especially if you are close to the minimum height. You're not required to send copies in for registration purposes - but you should have your height certificate with your passport for officials to check at the event. But in practice you are highly unlikely to be challenged at the lower levels unless the pony looks very small.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Rule Book says the following, I can't see anything about height cert. for smaller ponies to prove they are tall enough, only for big ponies doing pony trials to prove they are small enough! Think you'd be v unlikely to be pulled up at an event unless your pony was very small indeed.

Phone BE and ask :)

• Horses competing in BE80(T) classes must be at least 137cms in height.
• Horses competing in all other National classes must be at least 142 cms in
height.
• Ponies competing in National Pony Classes must be at least 142cms in height,
without shoes and must not exceed 148cm without shoes (or 149cm with
shoes).
Ponies competing as part of the European Pony Championships selection
process will be measured in accordance with FEI practice. Because the
measuring takes place under competition conditions, a tolerance is allowed
and such ponies must not exceed 150cms without shoes or 151cms with shoes
in order to be permitted to compete.
Any pony that does not comply with the measurement requirements will not
be allowed to compete until it has been re-measured and permission has been
obtained from the Chairman of the Pony Selectors for it to be entered in a
future Pony Class

Shay

Visit site
The above is right there is nothing in the rules to require you to produce a height certificate. But it is the standard way to prove height if challenged. In practice I would expect it to be relatively rare - we got challenged all the time at BS Juniors, but that is sometimes just the nature of competitions which involve parents to such a degree. We have never been challenged BE but pony is 147.5cm without shoes - with shoes and in a bad mood he looks easily over 15hh so there would be no reason to challenge. I am anecdotally aware of cases where kids have turned up and not been permitted to compete because the ponies looked too small and they could not prove the height - but nothing direct.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine is 144/145cm and I plan to have a height certificate before I affiliate her. Its never been questioned unaff.

foxy1

Visit site
Thanks all, if there's nothing in the rule book about height certificates then surely they can't expect you to produce one? It's quite expensive if it's not needed! I think I will phone BE on Monday just in case. Thanks

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks all, if there's nothing in the rule book about height certificates then surely they can't expect you to produce one? It's quite expensive if it's not needed! I think I will phone BE on Monday just in case. Thanks

Height certificates are not used at BE if your horse measures out on the day if its checked thats it. Recently at the european pony championship a few measured out as being to tall even though they had lifetime certificates.