Height/weight limits when selling?

Dry Rot

Visit site
Recently, I've had people come to look at a pony that is obviously too small for them. Do you just sell to the first who has the money or do you refuse those who are obviously too big?

I recently had a husband and wife team view a 13.3HH lightly built 4yo Highland pony. The wife, at 5'3", looked perfect on him. Then it was announced that 15 stone/6' 3" hubby would also be riding. Fortunately, they realised that the pony was not big enough for the job and decided to look elsewhere. But I am fairly remote and would feel bad about expecting someone to make a long journey only to have to turn them away on arrival.

What would you do? Anyone who sells horses will know that purchasers sometimes have ideas about themselves and their capabilities that are not 100% accurate! I've no problem telling someone that they are not as good a rider as they think they are (I blame the pony!), but if they are too heavy or too tall?

Shay

Visit site
Depends on why you are selling I think. Personally - I've only sold outgrown or otherwise surplus ones. That sounds horrible - but I mean I don't produce professionally, breed or anything like that. What we sell has been with us and usually competed. I want a good home so I will say if I have concerns - but also so far what we have been selling are reasonable quality BS ponies who can be sharp, to children sometimes with rather over competitive parents. I don't want anyone hurt. But I can also completely understand the position for someone who sells more stock or more regularly to not say. I've certainly been sold things that were not quite what I thought I was buying and no-one said. Part of the learning curve!

Nappy Croc

Visit site
I have no shame, I ask them before they come what the intended use is and how big the people are. I'm realistic with this as I'm larger on them than ideal but I'm not commercial so only want the best for their next home.

be positive

Visit site
They come into the "timewasters" category, I very rarely consider people to be timewasters but to not mention that the pony would be required to carry the husband before coming was in this case their "fault" if they had told you before turning up you could have pointed it out to them and not wasted your time or theirs, that is assuming they had known the pony was of light type and only 13.3.

I usually ask people roughly how big they are before they come, it is usually easily dropped into the conversation, if they are offended then it's tough as I will not sell to someone too big or not capable of riding whatever I am selling, as long as they are relatively honest, a stone over or an inch or two taller will be no problem, then you should not offend anyone and not end up having that awkward moment when they turn up.

oldie48

Visit site
I don't deal so the horses and ponies that I've sold have been outgrown or extra to requirements eg daughter gone to uni etc. I do try to find a long term home with a rider the horse really suits and generally I've been successful. I did tell a potential owner that I thought she was too small but she came back a couple of weeks later and bought him and still has him 8 years later. I would not sell to a rider who was too big though, I may be selling a horse on but it doesn't mean I don't care about it.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I'd ask the question before they come and view, then it's not wasting either of your time, and you can decide if it's worth them even coming to view.
I did when I was selling my 13.3hh Newforest. She was chunky and took the leg up well, but I still didn't want to sell her to anyone who was too tall/heavy for her.

I'd also do the same if I ever have to sell my current mare as she is 15.2 but very lightweight, so I wouldn't want anyone too heavy on her either.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You can't really legislate for stupid. If you don't get it out over the phone there's not a lot you can do. If not that, it'll be something else.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Can I add that some sellers - not you, Dry Rot! - are just as bad!

Recently wasted a whole day going to see a Connemara gelding, having specifically asked for him to be measured on the tape, and that I wasn't interested in below 14 hands. I was told this was done and he was 14.1coming into his 4th year, didn't bother asking for a picture of it as the seller was a well known AI and well known in BHS circles.

All his photos were in hand, as he was only just wearing tack, so nothing to really gauge size.

Arrived to find a 13.2 on his tiptoes - I took my own tape and measured him in the stable, just to check! Didn't either bother seeing him led out and I was fuming!

Seller said 'oh well, buyers often over exaggerate what they need from a pony.'

I walked away. In your shows, I'd have told them to walk away, it's their fault for not giving the information required and you're not obliged to sell to anyone.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
You can't really legislate for stupid. If you don't get it out over the phone there's not a lot you can do. If not that, it'll be something else.

Its ideal if you can sort out the wheat from the chaff, but in the end you need to assess when they come, I told one lot of beginners they could not cope [could manage a rising trot], told another she would be fine if she rode for a week under instruction .... of her instructor friend, as he would take the pxxxx at some stage.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I wondered if you were regretting selling me Darach there, DryRot!

I want them BOTH back! :D But Darach was a special favourite.:)

I would say you are ideally suited to both ponies, but then you aren't 15 stone and 6'3". :)

I'd better explain for others on here that I am a very small hobby breeder and never breed more than three foals a year (only one last year, two the year before) and like to bring them on to the 'started' stage myself, as I love training. I leave the fancy bits to others. I am definitely not a dealer and I'm extremely fussy where my ponies end up. But I don't like to disappoint people either, especially when they've travelled a long way.

In the case mentioned above, the buyers did rather spring it on me at the last moment that hubby would be riding and I muttered something about probably not selling if that was the case. Fortunately, they had others to see so jumped before they were pushed! (My wicked side wonders what they will end up with!). The sad part was the wife loved the pony, got on well with him, looked good on him, and he would be ideal for what she wanted. He's sold now anyway, to the perfect home, so no worries.

Last edited:

pennandh

Visit site
I must admit to being intrigued by the idea of a 'lightly built' Highland Pony.

I mean, I have a 13.1hh Western Isles type, and I wouldn't be particularly worried about him carrying 15st on occasion for steady work. I mean, he's 19, not 4, and obviously it's entirely up to your own discretion, but my point is that I don't think it's necessarily stupid (or even remotely silly) for someone of that weight/height to see an advert for a 13.3hh Highland and think it's worth going to see, given they're a breed well-known for being able to carry 20st+ stags down hills on the regular (even the smaller ones, and 13.3hh of HiPo is often quite a lot of horse).

Admittedly, it does sound like they might be better off with something a bit more Mainland-y, but people who've not had Highlands before mightn't be aware of that.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I was hoping for another inch or two each way on both ponies, DR, as I am tall on them, but no, I'm neither 6ft odd nor (thank heavens!) 15st :p

pennandh, this is one of DR's highlands. He's 6 in these photos, so not a complete baby either. For reference, I'm 5'8, mostly in my leg.

920769_449086531967065_1492028693534947510_o.jpg

12027374_451943515014700_2391353088263490338_o.jpg

12916994_457302757812109_1740774388376735073_o.jpg

conniegirl

Visit site
Can I add that some sellers - not you, Dry Rot! - are just as bad!

Recently wasted a whole day going to see a Connemara gelding, having specifically asked for him to be measured on the tape, and that I wasn't interested in below 14 hands. I was told this was done and he was 14.1coming into his 4th year, didn't bother asking for a picture of it as the seller was a well known AI and well known in BHS circles.

All his photos were in hand, as he was only just wearing tack, so nothing to really gauge size.

Arrived to find a 13.2 on his tiptoes - I took my own tape and measured him in the stable, just to check! Didn't either bother seeing him led out and I was fuming!

Seller said 'oh well, buyers often over exaggerate what they need from a pony.'

I walked away. In your shows, I'd have told them to walk away, it's their fault for not giving the information required and you're not obliged to sell to anyone.

Tapes are useless and never ever give correct height. you need a stick not a tape! According to one tape my horse is nearly 17hh. He has a JMB cert at just shy of 15.2hh!

alainax

Visit site
As a buyer, and a larger one at that... I have advised a seller of my weight before coming to view. Both to save a wasted journey and any embarrassment! She advised that it would be fine, and it was :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I studied economics at college and find it difficult to swallow the hypothesis that Highland ponies were the small farmer's work horse until relatively recentlly. Maybe in the last few hundred years, but earlier than that they would have been the heavy lorries of their time, working as a string of pack ponies, not too tall to lift a load onto and strong enough to carry a heavy weights. Having said that, the manager of a string of pack ponies/gentleman farmer would want something of lighter build, the personnel carrier. The peasantry ploughed with oxen which could be eaten, so an appreciating asset, whereas a pony is depeciating and in comprison a luxury.

So, a lighter longer legged Highland compliments the 'leg at each corner with a back like a kitchen table' type with plenty inbetween. Each to his own. I like the lighter "riding" or "performance" types.

Benn%20Odhar_zpshgplwosw.jpg

And a modern version whose details I've forgotten! It is quite probable I'm wrong, but I know what I like!

1003243_566423260174034_4812027552692485471_n_zpscfhz4wsi.jpg

Tapir

Visit site
As a buyer, and a larger one at that... I have advised a seller of my weight before coming to view. Both to save a wasted journey and any embarrassment! She advised that it would be fine, and it was :)

I usually do this. I mention my height, weight, what I want to do with the horse & ask if the owner thinks it would be suitable - no point in wasting everyone's time.

Embo

Visit site
I was hoping for another inch or two each way on both ponies, DR, as I am tall on them, but no, I'm neither 6ft odd nor (thank heavens!) 15st :p

pennandh, this is one of DR's highlands. He's 6 in these photos, so not a complete baby either. For reference, I'm 5'8, mostly in my leg.

920769_449086531967065_1492028693534947510_o.jpg

12027374_451943515014700_2391353088263490338_o.jpg

12916994_457302757812109_1740774388376735073_o.jpg

Yes please, I'll take him! :p (massive Daemon fangirl)

Sorry, JFTD, I thought you must be a short-a*se with your ponies! You look very comfortably sized on them, I'd never have guessed you were that tall - you're taller than me and I think I look just about right on my 15.3hh.

Certainly gives me hope that I could (one day) have one of Dry Rot's ponies at 5'6 :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes please, I'll take him! :p (massive Daemon fangirl)

Sorry, JFTD, I thought you must be a short-a*se with your ponies! You look very comfortably sized on them, I'd never have guessed you were that tall - you're taller than me and I think I look just about right on my 15.3hh.

Certainly gives me hope that I could (one day) have one of Dry Rot's ponies at 5'6 :D

Ha, nope, nothing short about me ;) Oddly, I've ridden 16hhers who I looked more out of place on that the highlands. Because my legs are long (relative to my body, rather than a "legs up to here phwoar" kind of way) I always look a bit weird unless I'm on a 17hh chunky beast. And I'm too lazy to mount them so I stick with midgets ;)

Dae may yet widen out a bit too, so there's definitely an option for you to have one!

Molly'sMama

Visit site
Ha, nope, nothing short about me ;) Oddly, I've ridden 16hhers who I looked more out of place on that the highlands. Because my legs are long (relative to my body, rather than a "legs up to here phwoar" kind of way) I always look a bit weird unless I'm on a 17hh chunky beast. And I'm too lazy to mount them so I stick with midgets ;)

Dae may yet widen out a bit too, so there's definitely an option for you to have one!

That's exactly like me! I looked the same size on my 14.2 chunky highland as i did on a 15.2 polo pony xD
becasue of this i WOULD entertain the possibility of seeing a pony that 'might' be too small just becasue it all depends on the individials horses body type etc as to how big i look on him (i'm fairly slim so weight isnt usually a problem.) But I would probably inform seller of this beforehand