Helicopter!!

lhotse

Visit site
Blinking eck!! I could hear the helicopter approaching across the fields, obviously the electricity board one as it was so low, but there was no way they could see me as I was in a lane with high hedges!! Cue yellow helicopter appearing over the top of said hedge over my head at about tree height, and lots of downdraft!! What did my 6 yr old arab mare do?

She looked up, and then carried on walking as if nothing was there!!!

She then shied at the scariest cow pat ever on the common....they are strange sometimes

lhotse

Visit site
Yep, had my hi-viz on. They flew across the lane and then I came to a gateway and stood in that and it was coming directly towards me again so I waved and it diverted. There is no way they would have seen me initially though!!

Welsh

Visit site
Wow, my heart would have been in my mouth! Is your girlie usually spooky? We've got an Arab X mare and she's a real diva, scared of bizarre, obscure things yet never bats an eyebat 'proper scary'stuff!

lhotse

Visit site
She is pretty solid to be honest, and I was pretty confident that she wouldn't freak out. She's scared of goats though!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Oh my God lol, reminds me of a hack we had a while ago....

I was riding my share mare who can be a bugger at the best of times, my mum was on her 5 y/o 97-stone-of-pure-muscle-and-bad-manners Cob and the owner of my share mare was riding her new 8 y/o ISH (3rd time hacking her out!).

Mooching happily round the fields, hi vizzed and in the sun. Lovely.

Heard an odd noise, horses stopped.

Pushed them on...

rounded a corner.

Helicopter JUST LANDED in the field alongside us. Like, feet away.

I don't think the horses knew what to do! Luckily they just stood rock still as we sort of gaped in disbelief.

Gets better - the helicopter then started to take off!!! The noise of the blades and the wind really was crazy. The horses quite understandably got a bit edgy and started dancing, but nothing worse.

Unbelievable. I really think the horses were in shock haha and it's a good job that nothing happened!!
K x

monkeybum13

Visit site
Oh my God lol, reminds me of a hack we had a while ago....

I was riding my share mare who can be a bugger at the best of times, my mum was on her 5 y/o 97-stone-of-pure-muscle-and-bad-manners Cob and the owner of my share mare was riding her new 8 y/o ISH (3rd time hacking her out!).

Mooching happily round the fields, hi vizzed and in the sun. Lovely.

Heard an odd noise, horses stopped.

Pushed them on...

rounded a corner.

Helicopter JUST LANDED in the field alongside us. Like, feet away.

I don't think the horses knew what to do! Luckily they just stood rock still as we sort of gaped in disbelief.

Gets better - the helicopter then started to take off!!! The noise of the blades and the wind really was crazy. The horses quite understandably got a bit edgy and started dancing, but nothing worse.

Unbelievable. I really think the horses were in shock haha and it's a good job that nothing happened!!
K x

I've had similar, when my mare was 4 or 5 we were hacking along a road when a helicopter went to land and just metres from landing it then started to go up again, horse didn't bat an eyelid, I though she might have jogged a bit but nothing :rolleyes:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We once had a similar experience with a hot air balloon. We were at the corner of the lane which has a wall over which the valley drops away steeply, just setting off on a hack, when the balloon appeared, coming UP over the wall, burning noisily to get the height it needed to avoid the houses. Fortunately the Clydie and the Appy just stood rock-like while sis and I wondered what the hell to do as we watched the balloon open-mouthed.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There is a commercial helicopter up the road from us. On one of my first hacks on my mare it landed next to us, and my mare didn't even notice it - she was too busy shying at the mini shetland in the next field! Our gelding isn't bothered by it either. The pilot is lovely though and always waits for horses to go past before he takes off/lands if he sees them.

rema

Visit site
Good horse..It is amazing that would WE think they will be bothered by they do not bat and eyelid but a sweetie wrapper in a hedge is a totally different story.

My horses were kept near a RAF base and one day we had a Chinook helicopter go over at about 100ft with a Land Rover in a cargo net dangling below.I thought my two would go into orbit but they just stood there and watched it..Strange creatures..