Helite / Point 2 two air jacket back length

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have tried on a Point 2 medium air jacket over a body protector and alone and although the assistant told me it was right for me, it seemed VERY long at the back. I am 5' 2". Are Helite vests the same length as Point 2? I have discounted Hit Air as I live in a Hit Air free area and I want to try the jacket before I buy. Thanks

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I have the helite gilet. It is quite long. I am 5ft 6 and in a size medium. I think when it inflates though, it lifts upwards due to the inflation of the neck and shoulders so perhaps just seems long when not inflated. Mine is comfy to ride in and the length doesn't bother me. Hope that helps.

Meredith

Visit site
I have the helite gilet. It is quite long. I am 5ft 6 and in a size medium. I think when it inflates though, it lifts upwards due to the inflation of the neck and shoulders so perhaps just seems long when not inflated. Mine is comfy to ride in and the length doesn't bother me. Hope that helps.

Thanks kinnygirl1. Would you be able to measure the centre back length for me, please? Then I can compare it with the Point 2.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
If I rrmember I'll do tomorrow although I'm 5'5 and have a helite small as I too felt the medium too big and I am on the cusp of both sizes. I imagine you would need a small tho at 5'2 from what I remember being fitted last year

Shay

Visit site
Helite (and point 2) do seem a bit long when not inflated. But they are fine when blown which is rather the point. We have a helite small which is 27" collar to base un-inflated. My daughter is also 5'2 and very slim. A medium would have been possible (and we did think about is as she is 16 and may grow - we were replacing an outgrown child large point 2) but were advised by a fitter I trust that the protection would not be as good as the jacket would be slightly over large even on inflation. Did the fitter at the shop explode the jacket on you to check fit? They are supposed to. (Although they do then charge you for the canister...)

Meredith

Visit site
Helite (and point 2) do seem a bit long when not inflated. But they are fine when blown which is rather the point. We have a helite small which is 27" collar to base un-inflated. My daughter is also 5'2 and very slim. A medium would have been possible (and we did think about is as she is 16 and may grow - we were replacing an outgrown child large point 2) but were advised by a fitter I trust that the protection would not be as good as the jacket would be slightly over large even on inflation. Did the fitter at the shop explode the jacket on you to check fit? They are supposed to. (Although they do then charge you for the canister...)

Thanks Shay, that's very useful. I haven't had a jacket exploded yet as am still investigating. I was concerned that I would be sitting on the tail when riding. I was fitted with a medium Point 2 firstly over a body protector and coat and secondly over a sweatshirt. On both occasions it felt that I would sit on it when riding, hence my question.

asmp

Visit site
My daughter is just over 5' and we found the Point2 too long (we went for a HitAir). Also thought they were bulkier around the neck.

Another point - we didn't get charged by the shop for setting off the canister.

Skib

sites.google.com
Isnt it the case that one does sit on it when riding? Whereas the Hit Air you fold it up with poppas.
My OH sat on a saddle at the shop when trying these and decided which to buy before having the test inflation. Like you, he did not like sitting on the jacket.

Obvious for safety he did not have the test while sitting in the saddle, as inflation requires a seriously strong pull!
Point 2 come with 2 canisters of gas and one of those is intended for a test inflation in the shop, the manufacturers told me. So there ought not to be a charge.

Are you sure you cant try on a Hit air? Hit air came later to the UK equestrian market than Point 2, but surely you should be able to try on both brands?

Meredith

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. I have rung Hit Air and there aren't any stockists within reasonable distance of me ( South Shropshire ) and I will have to travel nearly 50 miles one way to a Helite stockist. Most Point 2 stockists near here seem to carry only 1 air jacket in stock, not much good if it's not your size! If anyone can tell me where I can try on all 3 makes without journeying hundreds of miles I would love to know. Thanks

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Maybe your horse live if you can wait til nov. that's when I gt mine.
Or hoys or olympia will prob be best bet as they will likely have all 3 makes- I know they did at your horse last year

Meredith

Visit site
Maybe your horse live if you can wait til nov. that's when I gt mine.
Or hoys or olympia will prob be best bet as they will likely have all 3 makes- I know they did at your horse last year

Thanks Dizzydancer but I'm not sure I can wait until November. However will check date and distances for those events.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Thanks kinnygirl1. Would you be able to measure the centre back length for me, please? Then I can compare it with the Point 2.

Hello...sorry only just seen this. My jacket is at the yard...if I remember to take a tape measure I will do it for you tomorrow.

old hand

Visit site
The sizes are on their respective websites. I chose the Point Two because it was longer. I had a fall in a shorter one and it did not protect my pelvis at all so now have an XL. I am five foot ten but have a very long back, it is the length of your back that is key not the size of your body, suppliers will advise but make sure that you have adequate protection of your sacro iliac, some makes are shorter and give little protection there.

Meredith

Visit site
The sizes are on their respective websites. I chose the Point Two because it was longer. I had a fall in a shorter one and it did not protect my pelvis at all so now have an XL. I am five foot ten but have a very long back, it is the length of your back that is key not the size of your body, suppliers will advise but make sure that you have adequate protection of your sacro iliac, some makes are shorter and give little protection there.

Thanks for you reply. I have telephoned all 3 companies. I wish to ride with and without a body protector and I appear to be on the cusp of some measurements and ( with the b.p. ) too 'fat' and not tall enough / long enough in the body for a larger size. I will not purchase one without trying it so all information is gratefully received. I will ask about the sacro iliac when I try a jacket.