Hello/ Advice needed for first time horse owner!

happyhacker22

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone! I am a newbie to this forum.
I have been around horses basically all of my life and have been riding for many years- unfortunately on riding school horses that have been mostly safe and sensible.
I am now looking to buy my first horse and have secured a space at a local livery yard that are willing to help out with any problems and the horse will also be on part-livery there.
I have viewed several horses-all from dealers, I have only found one horse that I have liked but we have had our professional friend come and view the horse with me and seen me ride him, however, she feels that not everything is right and found several lumps/bumps on him etc etc.
We have decided before we even think about a vetting for said horse we will try out more horses, this is where I would appreciate some advice.
I have seen on Facebook and also browsing on here that there are some dealers that are dodgy etc and should be avoided.
I was hoping that I could have some help on which dealers in East Anglia are good and also the dealers that should be avoided completely.
Thank you!!!!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.

It might help if you tell us a bit more about what you are looking for.

Are you currently riding at a riding school? If you are they might be able to put you in touch with reliable dealers or know of horses in the area for sale. Same with the livery yard, they might be able to give you some suggestions.

happyhacker22

New User
Visit site
I'm looking for something over 16hh as I am very tall and not petite. Preferably a gelding and a dark colour (bay/chestnut etc). Must be able to hack alone and jump 1m to be able to compete every so often. Not too forward going, I would like sometching that I might have to give 2 kicks rather than think of cantering and then be off suddenly not being able to stop. We would ideally like the age of 7-13 as I would like it to be my forever horse but appreciate it may not be possible so could get something older but must then me negotiable on price. Ideally not more than £5000.

Yes I am, I have asked my instructor and she is keeping an eye out but hasn't found anything yet and also the livery yard but they do not know of any suitable horses.