Hello and a question please...

pomme

New User
Visit site

Hello, I'm new but I may have registered in the past when I was riding.

I'm a 31 year old mummy with 3 children and haven't done much riding since I had the little ones.

We are, having loaned a pony last year, now in a position to buy our own. I had my own pony from age 11 until I was 21 and rode from 3 years of age. I have loads of experience but it's all rather historic, iyswim.

Essentially, I would like to teach the children to ride and about horsemanship. I' also like to hack out too. No longer interested in competing personally, especially as we are now living in France and I don't know the scene. We will have grazing on our own land so we are very well placed to do this now.

We will be rescuing two ponies as in France there are lots and lots of good horses that are sold at 'meat price' and we have always been involved with rescue as a family.

Now, my query is this:

Bearing in mind my experience needs refreshing a bit (but it is all there somewhere!) and that I have never done this before, would it be insane to buy an unbroken foal or youngster?

This is not to do with price or cuteness, the reason is that my eldest child is only 7 and the others are 5 and 3. They have done some riding but not so much 'looking after' and I'd really like to go 'back to basics' with them and teach them a love and knowledge or horses by starting from scratch. This is particularly the case with my eldest child. It would also be an experience and learning curve for me.

I would hope that they would gain a respectful foundation from doing this.

Now, I know there will always be those that will say "NEVER, don't be ridiculous, you need to know what you are doing". My argument is that everybody has to start somewhere and that I am intelligent and will use my existing knowledge plus lots of reading and advice seeking from places like here.

However, I do also have my own nagging doubts about whether I really am capable of this.

Although it is a fine art, I am also aware that it is not 'rocket science'.

Please could you help me make this decision. It is very important to me to get it right.

Many, many thanks in advance. I hope to chat to you all some more soon.

clipclop

Visit site
I don't think anyone can tell you never.

However, for me personally although I have experience of young horses it has been a few years now and if I were to bring on a fresh one I really would make sure I had experienced help to hand. I would look for someone very knowledgable to help me find the right type too.

Have you got any old and trusted contacts that you could get hold of?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum!

My kids are 2 and 6. Neither has done much looking after of ponies, and I decided I would teach them myself.

I got a 3yo 'unbroken' gelding. all of 11hh high. He's a sweetie, he really is, but I wouldnt recommend a youngster around kids. I got him with the intention that in a year's time they could help out with him and ride maybe. Now they have him, they want to help with everything, which they can't and it leads to alot of tears.
It's not him, just his age, he can be silly and unpredictable, to the point of him allowing both kids to groom him etc, and suddenly turning on them. Or if he's spooked he has no sense, he just swings round quickly, and so i have to be so vigilant. I cannot allow either of the kids into the paddock or stable, even if I'm with them.
As it is, I'm going to be taking on something older for them, something that's used to kids. They're desperate to ride now (something they weren't fussed about 6 months ago!) and obviously can't ride 'their' pony. I'll have to ride him first to bring him on and ensure he's suitable, and even then, if he's not suitable, it'll be 12 months of work for me to have to break their hearts...

TBH I would play it safe and go for something that's safe and trustworthy. you cannot put a price on your kid's safety.

mandy4727

Visit site
I know exactly where you are coming from. But youngsters are hard work. I have gone from one end of the range to the other. Somewhat predicatble 29 year old push button pony to a yearling. And there have been some testing times. My daughter is 15 and somewhat stronger than me. But I do think with a younger child I would have struggled. Not anticipating what a youngster can be like. My daughter loves the hugs and grooming and training side of it. And she can't wait until she can ride Calli. But I do wish we had something that she could now be riding and competing with. She says she doesn't mind but deep down I think she does. But I do know that in the end it will be worth it all and hopefully Calli will be a good un.

pomme

New User
Visit site
These replies are fantastic and have given me much to think about. Thank you very much.

At roughly the same time we will be rescuing a horse/pony for me. I am only 5'2" so could potentially 'share' with the children if I keep to the low end of the range for my height and weight.

Kate26, do you think that if we maybe started really young (some of the rescue cases here are described as "you get given a foal and a tub of milk substitute and that's it") so maybe at weaning, then we could avoid some of the problems you are warning me of? I think your answer will be no but just wondering what you think from your experience.

Thanks again.