Hello from France

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hello everybody.

I joined the forum after lurking for a while and learning some very interesting and useful stuff, especially in this thread on neatsfoot oil.

I'm still fairly new to horseriding, In my teens, our family holiday would usually be to a seaside town on the east coast; Whitby at the furthest north and Chapel St Leonard's at the furthest south, and my Mum and I would go out on a beach or forest ride with other tourists for a couple of hours wihle Dad stayed between beach and arcades with my (much) younger brother. No lessons, very little oral instruction before setting out and I don't even remember wearing a hard had... A different time; I'm not judging it to have been better or worse, just different.

When I was living in New Jersey I had a couple of trial lessons at a riding school, went on an all-day trail ride through the forests of northern Pennsylvania, and a half-day trek in the Nevada desert, and I suppose that was how I got bitten by the bug.

Since moving back to France in 2012, and choosing Maisons-Laffitte as my new home-town, I've been riding more and more. Every Saturday (outside of school holidays) I have a one hour lesson at a school that's a few hundred yards up the road from my house. I take a few extra lessons there, from time to time, and go out on half-day or full-day rides with a guide now and again. We went on a three-day ride a few weeks ago, but that will be for a different post...

What else?

Well, I'm originally from Sheffield, but I lived in Paris for ten years before going over to the US, and I've been in Maisons-Laffitte for a little over five years, now. My other hobbies are leatherworking (I made a head-collar a couple of years ago as my first project bigger than a knife-sheath), I do a bit of knife and tool making (I made a hoof-pick the same year as the head-collar), some woodworking, a lot of cooking, reading, some photography, linguistics, computing and technology in general.

I look forward to learning a lot more from this forum, and no doubt making a few more friends that I hope to meet in real life, now and again, too.

Shady

Visit site
Hello! welcome to the forum :)
I'm in France too but sadly a long way away from you( dept 12, Aveyron) a long way away from everybody actually ! lol.
Good luck with your riding, the countryside is amazing but don't forget your hi viz!!!!!