Hello!

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
As a newbie to the site, I wanted to tell you all what an absolute pleasure it is to find a forum full of experienced horsey people who are willing to offer helpful advice to each other! Especially the regulars who seem happy to help with constructive, non-judgemental advice.

After supporting my daughter with riding lessons and pony camp etc for many years, I decided to take the plunge 3 years ago and have a go myself. I have always loved horses, but never had the cash as a single parent to do anything for myself. During that 3 years, I have come across all manner of ‘allegedly’ friendly, helpful people who in hindsight gave me bad and misguided advice. What’s even worse, I think, was that if they weren’t offering advice they were sniggering behind my back watching me struggle. It’s been such a roller coaster ride, where one moment I was deliriously happy with the horse I was sold (yes, I was ‘taken for a ride’ big time and didn’t understand how ‘poor’ she was when I bought her), to being wrist slittingly depressed when I had to accept that after 12 months of good feed and grazing, she became far too much for me to handle and I had to part with her.

On the bright side, I have learnt a whole lot, and after 3 years of lots of expense, many lousy riding lessons, and several horse experiences, I am settled on a lovely yard ( 1 year now) with lovely YO & employees who are always happy and willing to help, with a beautiful horse who is absolutely perfect for me. I also have a great instructor now who listens to me and understands what I need. I’m really looking forward to next year, when some lovely friends and I will be riding the Jack Mitton Way, and will be taking the horses off to the Cotswolds and various other places for hols. Cant wait!!!

I guess my point is that I really wish I had discovered the forum a long time ago..... there were times when it would have been absolutely invaluable to me! :D

wattamus

Visit site
Welcome!
To be honest the horsey world is like that, quite a few of the people who own horses aren't nice. I tend to take no notice and i honestly value the opinions of the people on her more than anyone els on my yard apart from the YO and two others ;) But on here If you are unnessecarily nasty you usually get frightened away by the "old nags" :p
Look forward to hearing from you in the future! :) xxx

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Hello and welcome. :D
Sounds like you've had a time of it over the last few years but it's nice to hear things have worked out for you now. :) Hope you have a fab time on your hols and don't forget to take loads of pics ;) :p :D

scheherazade

Visit site
Hello and welcome to the mad house!! Don't worry you can also get bad and misguided advice from here too (!) :p but you'll also a lot of sensible, well thought out comments from very experienced friendly people. You'll soon work out what's what and what works for you and your horse

Best of luck x

LittleWells

Visit site
What ho Bevvy!!! Nice to meet you!! Aw, what a time you've had but what a happy time you are having now!! Really refreshing, positive message :eek:)

Lots of lovely stories on here this morning!!! I'm in a very good mood today! Thanks all x x

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hi all, and thank you for the replies and the 'welcomes'.... Wattamus, I know exactly what you're saying, there are some that arent so nice to know. I often wondered if that's why they spent so much time with their horses and had no social life lol.

Thanks Laura... I will certainly put some piccies up as and when!

Scheherazade (?) I have certainly learnt over the last few years to follow my own instincts, and 9 times out of 10 it turns out ok :D

Little Wells.... thank you.. it's nice to be nice :D