Hello

mollybee

Visit site
Well yesterday we took the plunge and have bought our daughter her first ever pony. She has been riding since 8 years old and we have had a couple of really fantastic part loans which has taught me quite a few things, as I have never grown up with horses. I took myself off for some riding lessons, but was constantly yelled at by the instructor so have given up at the moment!
So we have found a great yard local to home, and have spent the last few weeks looking for her 'perfect pony'. She will be coming to her new home on April 27th. I expect I'll have a lot of questions, but am looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead (remind me of this quote at a later date) :)

hnmisty

Visit site
Ooo good luck! :D

You sound similar to my mum (I got my first pony when I was 11). She'd had a few lessons as a kid but at a rubbish yard. She picked up and awful lot along the way and when I left for uni looked after my pony for me :)

I hope you find a nice, non-shouty instructor btw!

alijanem

Visit site
Hello, good luck with the new pony. How old is your daughter? My2 daughters got a pony each last year so we are new to this as well although I did ride and own ponies as a child. Look forward to piccies of the new arrival.

Tiffany

Visit site
Hello and congratulations on daughter's new pony - how exciting.

If you don't post photos The Fat Controller will ban you :D

Only kidding but would love to see photos :)

mollybee

Visit site
Thanks for the nice wishes, we are in the process of sorting out the stable and having fun spending th emoney getting all the lovely new things.
Can I ask, a couple of people have asked if we are to get her 'vetted' and I'd not really given it any thought.
Would someone please let me know their thoughts?
I'm getting mixed messages!!
Also is there anything you can't live without when having a pony (all advice greatly appreciated)

hnmisty

Visit site
Vetting- would depend on how much you are paying for the pony, how long you have known her...and how deep your pockets are/how upset your daughter will be to find her pony has some condition that prevents her from being ridden (and you to find out that you have just bought a lawn mower).

We didn't have my first pony vetted, I had her on loan for a few months first, and when we initially looked at her, my dad who is a vet (livestock) gave her a quick look over. By the time we bought her, we'd figured out that she was pretty solid, and in fact she lived to 35.

A vetting picks up any problems with their eyes/heart, any lameness- basically, anything that could go wrong/has already gone wrong. If you've bought her, it's a bit late for having her vetted really, unless it's for your own knowledge- you usually have it done before you buy, and if they fail it, either keep looking, or offer them a substantially lower price to take that into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially depending on what your daughter plans on doing with her pony.

As to what I couldn't have lived without...hmm. An awful lot of things! I can't think of anything that springs to mind. Apart from buckets. My dad was forever stealing my buckets for his sheep!

FionaM12

Visit site
Hi and welcome. :)

I didn't have my Mollie vetted, and she's stayed healthy and sound. However another lady on our yard in a similar position to me bought a mare without vetting, and it's turned out she's got arthritis and is barely rideable. This wasn't apparent until she'd had her a few months, and her new owner has spent £1,000s in vet's fees since. :( It's very likely the arthritis would have shown up in the vetting if she'd had one and all the heartbreak could have been avoided.

So if I bought again, unless I knew the horse's history really well, I'd have it vetted even though I got away with it with my Mollie.

A shouty instructor is a bad instructor IMO. :mad: Find a nice one! I came back to riding rather late in life and had lessons with a very patient kind young woman who never raised her voice. :) They are out there.

FionaM12

Visit site
Oh, and what couldn't I do without?

Gloves. Lots and lots of cheap gloves with grippy palms. In cold weather I wear up to 3 pairs at once, and I always try to remember to wear them for riding or leading, whatever the weather or my hands end up in bits.

alijanem

Visit site
Hi,
Vetting. I got both my ponies vetted - just 2 stage though. If anything comes up you can decide if its important or not. We nearly bought one but she failed on the eye test and as we didn't know if it was progressing or not we didn't buy. As others have said, depends on how much you are paying and what you want to do with pony.

Not sure what we couldn't live without. Lots of gloves is a good one. Plus thermal/warm socks as feet get very cold when riding.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mollybee

Visit site
Thermals yes, remember those bloomin cold days during our loan days, brrrr but we have a luxury of a stable now so at least maybe keep a bit drier :)
My daughter is 13 and loves being around ponies and a real happy hacker. Thank you for info on Vetting, have had a long chat with a few friends tonight too, so will make a decision tomorrow. We've only paid a deposit and the family we are buying her from have offered a refund if things don't go to plan.
Nice to hear from you, and thanks again for taking the time out to respond.

hnmisty

Visit site
Oh, in that case (I thought you'd already bought her) I'd go for a 2* vetting.

Here's some info on the differences between a 2 and 5*
http://www.stephenbrooksequine.co.uk/Vettings-to-buy-a-horse-102.htm

It'd just reassure you that there isn't anything wrong with the pony- the current owners may not know there is either. It'd be better to know that there's a problem, even though the owners have offered to take her back if needed, before your daughter has fallen totally and utterly in love with her.

Good luck, and show us some pics when you get her! :D