Hellpppp...

kate121212

Visit site
hey ,

i have trouble doin a sitted trot goin into canter.... also... ive been sharing him for 2months now and im still a bit nervous when it comes to puttin the bridle on and picking his feet. sometimes i get to nervous to even put the bridle on . i bet this sounds really stupid!!!!

can anyone help meeee!!!!

xxxxx
confused.gif
crazy.gif

jemstone

Visit site
Spend time with this horse and just get to know him first. Sometimes having a new horse can be nerve wracking. Spend time grooming him and getting used to his body language, you will be suprised how quickly your confidence grows.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Try to stick to a specific way of doing things- you will get into more of a 'habit' and your horse will know what to expect, you'll soon find your confidence grows.

For example- when i first go my horse i wasn't 100% confident on the ground with him; i used to worry when he started shuffling about and lifting his legs as i was picking up his feet. But, now i know he is actually offering me the next foot, he just does it in an order i wasn't expecting (near fore, off fore, off hind, near hind)
smile.gif

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Dont worry. Two months isnt that long realy. As the others have said just spend time with your horse and it will all become easier.

With regards the sitting trot, you sound like you might be a bit tense. If you are tense your legs will stiffen up and you will be pushing yourself out of the sadle without realising it. If you have a safe area and feel up to it, try doing it without stirrups. If I am bouncing in trot or canter I try to focus on bending my knees and ensuring I am not gripping the saddle with them. If your knees are bent and they are not gripping your bottom will be deeper in the sadle. Good luck and hope every thing gets easier soon.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
to add to magicmillbrooks post i always being aware of your breathing when doing sitting trot can help greatly. you are often more tense then you think you are! take a second to take a deep breath and go really relaxed, i find this helps me 'go' with my horse more

Zebedee

Visit site
John Lassiter advises novice riders having problems sitting through transitions to rise!! He feel that a loss of balance whilst trying to sit is more likely to cause problems for the horse - esp through the back as the rider 'bumps' & in the mouth (as the hands become unstable). In the meantime work on your sitting trot itself - I suspect that the problem is caused by your tension, which is preventing your back softening into the movement. Is having some lessons on the lunge with a decent instructor an option? 20mins would probabally be enough to start with, and if some work without your stirups could be introduced this will improve your seat, add to your security in the saddle, & improve your transistions!
Above all enjoy your horse & the time you spend with him. Take time to build up your confidence in him, & his in you.

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
i wouldnt do rising trot while doing your canter transistion the horse will get into bad habits and you will (from exprerience)
try just going round the school in sitting trot to practice

Zebedee

Visit site
In reply to the pms asking who John Lassiter is he is a dressage trainer who himself trained with the spanish riding school. He & his wife Charlotte have both competed & trained at the highest levels. They also train horses for film work!!
We were lucky enough to have a weekend clinic with him, and he was a fabulous teacher who put the same effort in to each rider, regardless of how well they rode or their horses potential.

Sorry Kate - thread hi-jack over!!

Zebedee

Visit site
It won't.
The only thing that might happen, is that the horse will 'run' on to its forehand through the upward transition. As the rider improves this will become almost self correcting, as the seat & balance of the rider become more secure.

Jellicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It won't.
The only thing that might happen, is that the horse will 'run' on to its forehand through the upward transition. As the rider improves this will become almost self correcting, as the seat & balance of the rider become more secure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Zeb!