Help Advice Needed - Choice of 2 horses!!! A long one!!

charliesangel

Visit site
Apologies firstly as this is a long one!!

I have been looking for a horse on loan for the last 6 months and found one that looks like it could work only to be offered another one the next day!!! Now I am confuzzled as to which one to go for!!

1st Horse = 16.2hh gelding about 20 ish TBxID has done mainly hunting, he has been out of work since Dec 05. He is at a yard about 15mins from my house and his owner wants £25 per week livery plus me paying all the usuals!! He is a chilled out lad, not the best looker but that doesn't matter!! Owner doesn't want him to move.

2nd Horse = 15hh ish mare 4 yrs old welsh type. She was broken then had a foal this year which she lost! She is stabled where my sons pony is. When she came over she looked terrible but she has now put on some weight and is looking better! She is quite nervy but listens to you and then relaxes!

My Situation = I have been riding since I was little but had a break and started riding regularly again about a year ago. I want something to hack and learn to ride side saddle on. We have a pony stabled 5 mins from home, 2 kids one at school and one at playgroup and I work from home!

Basically the question is which one do I go for?????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Ideally the second one as it's at the same yard, although a 4YO is no doubt going to 'test' you and put you through the usual babyish motions might try to nap etc so the question is do you have the confidence to bring on a youngster?
The first hose sounds ideal for getting your confidence back up. Not sayirng that you've lost it but if you haven't had your own horse as such for a while you may be a bit out of it?
I have a son and also work full time, I think that 15min drive to the yard makes half an hour each time. To me time is precious so I'd prefer the closer one?

charliesangel

Visit site
The 1st horse is perfect just in the wrong place!! The 2nd horse will test me but I think I can do it!! The only thing with the 2nd one is that she is very fine and I don't know how she would cope with a side saddle whereas the 1st one would just take it all in his stride!!!

The travel is not a major thing as both kids will be at school/pre-school in the mornings and his owner would turn him out etc in the evenings!!! The only reason she won't let him move is she has had a bad experience with him on loan!!!

pottamus

Visit site
Depends whether you want a 'ready to go' model or something that will need a bit of time, effort and work? Just bear in mind that nos 2 may give you a few problems to deal with in a youngster sort of way and if she is at all welsh...will have plenty of character and a will of her own at times! Depends on your own abilities, confidence and time available to you. I would not be worried about nos 2 being a finer build from a side saddle perspective but it may be a while before you can do that with her depending on how well she adapts to being ridden and worked full stop. Someone I know rides side saddle at national competition level and I would not call her horse any where near medium build. Good luck in whatever decision you make, they both sound good...but I personally have a preference towards nos 2.

charliesangel

Visit site
Thank you for your advice! No 2 is winning at the moment! Although it will be interesting to have a mare! It will be a first for me! lol

I am riding no1 again this morning and will let you all know how it goes!!

rach1984horse

Visit site
The owner of number 1 wouldn't let you move him to be with your sons pony?

If side saddle is really important to you then number 1. But if your prepared to wait a while and spend time working with the mare first, then she's in the right place so number 2.

charliesangel

Visit site
I have now ridden no1 again and he is lovely, but has a very strange and uneven gait (not lame just the way he is apparently), but no 2 is winning as she is in the right place! I am going to ask about moving no1 but if a definate no then I will go for no2! She will need a lot of work but I am 95% sure she is worth the effort!
confused.gif

Wish me luck and I will post pictures as soon as I have chosen!!

charliesangel

Visit site
I think I have decided on no2. I have the time to put in all the extra work and would rather not spend it driving!! Plus no1's owner wants £25 diy livery + extra to turn him out and I only pay £15 where we are and they turn pony out for free!!

Wish me luck and pics will follow