Help - advice needed for healing wound/scab

vickybentley

Visit site
Hi all,

My horse has a wound on his withers - had it for about 3 weeks now, at first it was oozy and big and we have treated it well enough so that it has got much smaller and non infected. Its now just a bit scabby with flesh underneath - but seems to be taking ages to heal. Its a circular shape, the skin around it seems to be healing but the wound itself is a little raised. Vet advised to wash everyday with hibiscrub.

We are currently cleaning it with hibiscrub but not removing the scab as all this does is make it bleed out. Then spraying it with antibacterial spray and leaving it to dry. Then fly spray around it to keep them away.

Does anyone have any tips to speed up healing? I am desperate to ride him again but I cannot as the wound is right where his saddle pad would sit.

thanks, any advice appreciated.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't use hibiscrub daily, because it can sometimes delay healing due to over cleaning of the area and affecting good, healthy cells. At this stage I'd be thinking about saline solution only and a good tropical ointment. Manuka honey would be excellent to use- but unfortunately the flies will be against you at this time of year.

vickybentley

Visit site
Thank you Amy, I agree, I don't want to keep disturbing it. I am using fly spray with deet in it which seems to be doing the trick for it.

Notimetoride

Visit site
This.
I'm so surprised your vet said to use hibiscrub. It's v much out of favour now and far too potent on open wounds. I second Manuka honey. My vet always uses honey on wounds. It's amazing.
Don't be in too much of a hurry with the wound healing though. The riding can wait. You need it to heal from the inside first so no infection is trapped inside, so it may appear to be taking a long time.

jenni999

Visit site
I have had phenomenal results with Equaide. https://equinefirstaid.co.uk/collections/equaide It comes in small pots and it looks like airfix grey paint. I used it for a deep fetlock wound to stop proud flesh and help the edges come in. A friend used it on my recommendation on a horse that had been through a wire fence, equally impressive.

vickybentley

Visit site
Thank you, I think I will stop that then. I was in two minds whether to stop the cleaning but now its scabbing over I think it will be fine to leave and just treat with creams etc. What do people think of wound powder? I have heard mixed things on it

Notimetoride

Visit site
Noooo. Don't use a concoction of lotions and potions. Honestly, just stick with the honey. Though you'll have a bit of a prob with flies. You really need help with wound management from your vet so do please give them a tinkle.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you, I think I will stop that then. I was in two minds whether to stop the cleaning but now its scabbing over I think it will be fine to leave and just treat with creams etc. What do people think of wound powder? I have heard mixed things on it

I would stop the Hibiscrub but carry on washing with salt water. You don't want it to scab over but to heal from the inside.

TreeDog

Visit site
I have found sudocrem good for healing smaller wounds. It moisturises the area (dry skin doesn't heal as well), it's an antiseptic and a barrier against dirt. Flies don't seem to like it either so could be better if you're worried about flies if you use honey. I would be careful with using a deet fly spray near an open wound because can act as an irritant so could be delaying healing, should you fine if you're covering the wound when you spray though

emilylou

Visit site
Fill with manuka honey and cover with yellow fly cream, which is able to be used on open wounds (it is for sheep and horses) Dont have anything that rubs on it such as a rug and dont hibiscrub. Slather manuka honey and fly cream on in abudnace and dont rub or mess with it too much. Should notice a huge difference in a week.
Also, with manuka honey the higher the number, the better. Dont get the cheapest one. Go to holland and barrett and get a high potentcey one. Think of it as buying an expensive healing cream

Mule

Visit site
I haven't any advice about the wound, but if horse is quiet you could ride bareback
Edit: I remember, I have used manuka to draw an infection and it worked well.

Last edited:
Visit site
Hibiscrub should only be used for the first day or 2 of a new wound to make sure it is clean. After that it is far too abrasive to be used everyday. Use salt water. Personally I prefer flamazine cream over honey, it makes less mess.

I am assuming your horse isn't rugged? Having rugs press down on the wound won't help either.

honetpot

Visit site
I would go with the honey or if its not very deep a hydrocolloid dressing like Duoderm because it will protect the area from abrasion as the new skin will not be as tough as it was for a long time. Vets like doctors are not very good with wounds the practice nurse would probably have a better idea. If you are interested in why honey works, https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinic...s-the-practical-considerations/205144.article

Auslander

Visit site
Agree re stopping HIbi. If infected, I'd use manuka honey, and if not, intrasite gel to keep it moist, which helps it to heal correctly. A good rule of thumb is to use yellow (honey) on wounds that are oozing yellow, and clear (intrasite) on wounds that are oozing clear/clean.
All the above is advice given by the Vet Wound Library - so straight from wound experts.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Agree with what others have said about hibiscrub. I just iuse salt water to cleanse areas but this can also kill living cells if not diluted correctly. Use one teaspoon per pint warm water.
I swear by flamazine ointment, which is an antibacterial silver ointment. You'll see a big improvement after just a couple of days. I think you have to get it from the vets though.

vickybentley

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your advice.

Quick update re the wound - its looking much better now, it did form a scab over the top but he managed to roll in the field and pull it off! have to say it was a bit of a bloody mess, but looks much better and the wound is so much smaller now. A couple of days afterwards and its just fleshy now with no blood/dried blood, so I am using DermaGel by Equine America on top of the last fleshy bits to keep it moist and it seems to be getting smaller everyday, I can see new skin growing from the outside in and all looks to be healthy. Phew!

Bec26

Visit site
I have had phenomenal results with Equaide. https://equinefirstaid.co.uk/collections/equaide It comes in small pots and it looks like airfix grey paint. I used it for a deep fetlock wound to stop proud flesh and help the edges come in. A friend used it on my recommendation on a horse that had been through a wire fence, equally impressive.

I second this - its amazing stuff

only_me

Visit site
Definitely not hibiscrub everyday! I only use it at the start to make sure wound is clean.

Manukau honey is excellent, although expensive lol. Botanica cream is also really good!