Help asap

Starshine87

New User
Visit site
My rescue pony came to me in need of tlc and I built him up to a healthy looking boy but October 2015 he started loosing weight and before I knew it he looked like a neglected abused horse that would need to be rescued. I called the vet and he had redworm so gave him the wormer and they cleared up then February he lost more weight (didn't think was possible) but the worms had incysted so gave him another wormer prescribed so now trying desperately to put a bit of weight of my bag of bones has anyone Ever heard of a case this bad

be positive

Visit site
Worms will pull a pony down very quickly, if he was not wormed correctly then it can be an ongoing issue until they are clear and some will always be more prone than others to carrying a worm burden , you must keep on top of the worming now, get regular egg counts done and ensure the field is kept really well poo picked so he is not picking up more every time he goes out on the grass as the eggs will potentially be there for a long while waiting to be taken in and re infest him.

You will need to build him up slowly again, plenty of forage and high fibre feeds with some oil or linseed for calories and a vit/ min supplement or balancer to ensure he gets all his requirements, you are past the worst now, going into spring so he should pick up on decent grass and this time you will be more aware of the worm problem so he should be easier to keep looking well.

Shay

Visit site
All brilliant and on the money advice from Be Positive. Only one possible additional suggestion... a low immunity can be associated with difficulty in reducing worm burden. You might want to talk to your vet about having his bloods checked and see if there is an underlying problem which might be making things worse. You might also need to stick to prescription wormers for a while.