Help! Bitting question - I have also put this in CR

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Just wondering what bit you would recommend. The horse is very sensitive – and he doesn’t seem to like jointed bits- he gets really fiddly in his mouth, cant decide if he wants to be above the bit or behind in, and gets really gobby. He goes really nicely in a ported rubber Pelham – but this is not great as I want to start doing some eventing next year at Intro level. Tried him in a gag on the hanging snaffle bit and he was not great….I think that it was the joints. He goes really nicely in a hackamore – which is what I hack him in and school him in sometimes. Can you buy a ported rubber snaffle? Would that be allowed under BE/BD rules? Haven’t a clue as I have only done BSJA and when I have done dressage it’s been in a trusty loose ring snaffle. Thanks xxx

KatB

Visit site
Try a nathe straight bar. Really nice bits, can encourage them to stretch into a consistant contact. Have you had teeth checked?

samp

Visit site
I agree try the nathe straight bar I used them on my horse who is fussy in the mouth and went lovely for a longtime, now I am using a myler

ihatework

Visit site
Interesting, I might try one on my boy.
Although he is in no way a 'problem' horse to bit he does just have a habit of sitting just behind the vertical and not wanting to truely take the contact forwards.
Currently he is in a imitation KK, but do you think a staright bar nathe could encourage him to take the contact a bit more?

KatB

Visit site
Yes they seem to make a horse confident in taking the bit forward. I dont like them for everyday schooling as they can encourage a dry mouth, but to teach a horse to take a contact, they tend to work really well.

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you
smile.gif