Help - Book club recommendations

dixie

Visit site
I've spent all morning trying to find a light hearted funny book that isn't a cliche or trashy, and I need help.
I normally enjoy a good thriller but the last few books have either been along this line or a bit more serious. I think we all need a good cheering book.
Any recommendations please.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Also
The End of The Day by Claire North .
It's about a chap called Charlie who gets a job as The Harbinger of Death . Sad , shocking but really funny too !
Claire North is brilliant for books that are really different and a bit 'out there' - she writes like no one else ! I love her . Also by her which I enjoyed
The Sudden Appearance of Hope
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

asmp

Visit site
I like Jojo Moyes latest one inspired by the librarians on horseback during the Great Depression in Kentucky.

If you want something more light hearted but horsey look at Fiona Walker books The Country Set and The Country Lovers.

Roxylola

Visit site
My first thought was any of the discworld books too
Or Good Omens - even if you've watched it still worth a read
Or much of Neil Gaiman's other stuff. American Gods is good, thought provoking certainly.
If you want something a little longer and don't mind a bit of kink (and maybe a little suspension of disbelief) Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart is a fantastic stand alone book although it is the first of a trilogy, beautifully written, moving, sexy but not in a trashy way.

Courbette

Visit site
I like Jojo Moyes latest one inspired by the librarians on horseback during the Great Depression in Kentucky.

If you want something more light hearted but horsey look at Fiona Walker books The Country Set and The Country Lovers.

I LOVE JoJo Moyes the horse dancer so will look out for this ☺️

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
If you like detective stories, A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee is good, a detective story but some of it was laugh-out-loud funny. He's written a couple more since (A Rising Man was his first) but I've not read them.

Petalpoos

Visit site
My Sister The Serial Killer. Well written, quite different and suitably thought provoking for a book club. Also quite funny! Not howit sounds from the title.

Laugh out loud, I agree with D66, any PG Wodehouse. Innocent fun in the time of coronavirus ?