Help! Bordem ideas needed urgently!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Ok basically when I started stabling my horse about a week and half ago, I put him on straw and was then told he was a straw eater. Now I can't really afford shavings so am sticking to straw for now, but inthe new year am going to look at getting some mats and then I will have shavings, but just for the mats.

Anyway thats not where I need help. He starts to eat his straw when he's finished his haylage, so basically I need some ideas of things I could put into his stable to stop him getting bored and eating his straw. I've hung a swede up in his stable today, and my friend has brought him a lickit for christmas so he'll be having that next week. But is there any otehr homemade ideas I could do. I also plan on buying him a few otehr toys like the stallball but need to sae up for them along with mats and a new saddle. So any ideas would be greatly appreiated!

Sorry its so long.
xxxx

nomini

Visit site
My horse has one of the balls where the treats come out when they roll it around, keeps him entertained for hours. Doesn't suit every horse though, gave one to my mare, she rolled it once and didn't touch it again!!
2nd P_G - give him enough haylage so he doesn't run out.

nomini

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MIx hay with the haylage, feed more of it, lightly spray the straw with something foul tasting

[/ QUOTE ]
My old horse used to eat the bed, the new owner sprayed diluted jeyes fluid onto it and she didn't touch it after that!

Marnie

Visit site
I got the big plastic milk bottles (think they are about 6 pints or something?), took the lids off, tied them by the handle to the stable beams and put horse treats, bits of carrot etc in them. My horse used to play for hours when he was on box rest, turning them upside down to shake out the treats. A sort of cheap feed ball!

Blazingkate

[ QUOTE ]
I got the big plastic milk bottles (think they are about 6 pints or something?), took the lids off, tied them by the handle to the stable beams and put horse treats, bits of carrot etc in them. My horse used to play for hours when he was on box rest, turning them upside down to shake out the treats. A sort of cheap feed ball!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooo I like the sound of that. Cheap as well lol.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
give him more haylage? just make sure hes got enough so he doset run out during the night.

[/ QUOTE ]
ditto

Broodle

Visit site
Definitely second Nomini's suggestion - diluted Jayes fluid really works, and won't harm him if he does try to nibble a bit. Smells a bit nasty though!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Smaller holed haynet or more then one over each other... so hes left pecking away for longer... snack balls are good but bit pants in stable if you ask me.... Floating apples etc... horse apple bobbing!! Or best of all not stabling??
blush.gif
grin.gif

mitchellk

Visit site
Those horse ball/trickle feeders will probably make him churn up his bed something rotten. Small holed haynets inside one another will certainly make his haylage last longer.

Blazingkate

He can't have haynets as he gets his legs tangled in them (no matter how high you tie them) so as you can see, he's a bit of a pain lol. He can't be turned out to much either as the bad weather stops him from eating so he looses weight. (he won't eat if he's wet or cold) Thank you for all the suggetions though!

Jay89

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He can't have haynets as he gets his legs tangled in them (no matter how high you tie them) so as you can see, he's a bit of a pain lol. He can't be turned out to much either as the bad weather stops him from eating so he looses weight. (he won't eat if he's wet or cold) Thank you for all the suggetions though!

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had the smaller holed haynets would he still get tangled??

And the milk bottle sounds like a very cheap idea, if it doesnt work wont have cost you alot!!