Help!! Can only handle one leg???

ScoobyDoo98

Visit site
Hi guys, could really use some advice please. Very long!

I have a 12.3 cob. Hes 2 1/2. I have been treating him for feather mites for as long as ive owned him(2 years+). Ive tried literally everything and nothing has worked, because of this I decided to remove his feathers in order to get a clear look on whats there so I know if I am actually treating the wrong thing. For the first few times ive taken his feather off with scossors, no problems at all. Last week I tried clipping him under sedation with relaquine(he doesnt mind clippers, full body and head done no probs)
As soon as I went to the legs he would snatch them away and run off. He became quite dangerous, so I thought rather than ruin his experience with the clippers I'd just take them off with scissors, as I have done many times before. So there I am 2 days later , I go to his legs and he starts yanking them away, I check its not the noise, no not bothered, I hold the hair, no not bothered! So I follow him around so as to not let him win any battles, but this just made him escalate behaviour. He would stand until the scissors start cutting again. Now ive checked his legs, rubbed the skin pulled the hair to see if he's sensitive... not even slightly.
So i try the other legs, same thing - dancing about snatching away , i discontinued as the scissors were kicked to my face!
So fast forward 2days later I decide ill give it another go. Same reaction, acting nuts. Only when I moved to try his left hind he lets me cut them. No snatcing or pulling, genuinely wasn't bothered . However he would not like me cut the hair around the hoof /coronet band. I could cut his pasterns fine! So i wonder if this leg is OK with the clippers. I get my dog clippers, start from the top with clippers pointing down and he lets me clip the leg. I'm shocked but he didn't care, again wouldn't let me cuf to the coronet band, would yank away.
Now I'm wondering, is he just ticklish? Trying me on behaviourally or have I somehow made him scared of scissors! Again no cuts or sores or sensitive skin. I realised that hes also been weird about his coronet band for a while as when oiling his hoof he can snatch away too.
To those who read this, thank you, I'm new to horses mostly and I try my best to be clear with him but I can't quiet tell whats going on sometimes.20200927_024048.jpg:rolleyes:

Upthecreek

Visit site
When you sedate a horse to clip start with the legs whilst the sedative is at it’s most effective & before it starts to wear off at all. For most horses who are sensitive to clippers, head and legs are worse for them than body so I never understand why people waste time doing the body and move on to the more sensitive areas once the sedation is wearing off.

It’s very common for hairy legged types that have suffered with mites to be very sensitive to having legs touched, clipped or trimmed and they can be ticklish there too. It sounds like your horse is not scared, he would just really rather you didn’t do it, hence why he moves away and escalates his behaviour when you don’t.

I would sedate him a couple times as described above to make it a more positive experience and get the job done and then try without. I would not faff about with scissors if he is now objecting strongly to those as well. I would also say dog clippers are not man enough to clip that amount of feather. You need some decent horse clippers to prevent tugging at the hair, which would be uncomfortable for him.

ScoobyDoo98

Visit site
When you sedate a horse to clip start with the legs whilst the sedative is at it’s most effective & before it starts to wear off at all. For most horses who are sensitive to clippers, head and legs are worse for them than body so I never understand why people waste time doing the body and move on to the more sensitive areas once the sedation is wearing off.

It’s very common for hairy legged types that have suffered with mites to be very sensitive to having legs touched, clipped or trimmed and they can be ticklish there too. It sounds like your horse is not scared, he would just really rather you didn’t do it, hence why he moves away and escalates his behaviour when you don’t.

I would sedate him a couple times as described above to make it a more positive experience and get the job done and then try without. I would not faff about with scissors if he is now objecting strongly to those as well. I would also say dog clippers are not man enough to clip that amount of feather. You need some decent horse clippers to prevent tugging at the hair, which would be uncomfortable for him.
Thank you! I think hes made a decision, hes definitely a sensitive horse as far as touching goes, he hates light touch with a passion! I just want to do it the once to make sure I'm not missing anything and then I'll know if i just need to step up my game against the mites or not. I did start on his legs when sedated however he just woke up. Ill be trying iv sedation I think. Appreciate your comments!

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site
Lots of equines hate having their legs touched. Having their feet free and able to run is their best defence against attack because they are flight animals. He is only a baby and they are often more flighty than adults. You could try desensitising him. As many time a day as you can just run your hand down his legs, with the scissors touching him. Make a very few snips and stop as soon as he reacts, give him a minute or two and repeat. If you can sustain those consistently, he should eventually accept what you are doing. Far better to spend some time training him than resorting to sedation. I have been around horses for 60 years and we hardly ever used to use sedation.

Nari

Visit site
I'd definitely get the vet out for IV sedation net time, and while they're there ask them to have a look at the clipped legs to see if there's a problem. In fact if they know you want his legs examining they may clip them off for you rather than wait for you to do them, and being more experienced they might have an easier time with him.

ScoobyDoo98

Visit site
Lots of equines hate having their legs touched. Having their feet free and able to run is their best defence against attack because they are flight animals. He is only a baby and they are often more flighty than adults. You could try desensitising him. As many time a day as you can just run your hand down his legs, with the scissors touching him. Make a very few snips and stop as soon as he reacts, give him a minute or two and repeat. If you can sustain those consistently, he should eventually accept what you are doing. Far better to spend some time training him than resorting to sedation. I have been around horses for 60 years and we hardly ever used to use sedation.
Its strange as I've snipped his feather off many times and he's never cared. He's really good with his legs. I've tried this method hes really not happy at all. =(