Help, Can't do girth up, Mick blowing out

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I don't know why I have never asked you lot this question before - but here goes.

When I do Micks girth up he blows his belly out, so much that I can only use an Aerborn Humane girth and do one buckle up at a time. I have no problem with this, but I would like to use other girths. I bought a lovely leather girth for him but was unable to use it as I couldn't fasten it. The buckles were about 6 inches away from the bottom of the straps, so I swapped it for a longer girth that would reach the straps. But, by the time I had tightened it enough to be safe I had ran out of holes on the girth straps. It was that bad.

Does anyone else have this problem or have you got any tips on how to stop him blowing out. When I am on and tightening the girth I have to keep him in walk as if I stop he blows out.

Last edited:

Mickeymoo

Visit site
lol.. maybe not! :)

I have tried tickling him under his belly but this doesn't seem to work either.

I will try and walk him and see if thats any better with his current girth, although I have always made him stand to be tacked up.. drrr. damn horses. Thanks for the suggestion though. xx

Sol

Visit site
Has he never got any better?? If not, I'd check he wasn't uncomfortable. Or that he wasn't associating being girthed up with work, which may be boring on uncomfortable for him in itself.
Dante went through a phase of being bad to girth up, blowing out - certain girths and a bad fitting saddle made it worse!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Sol, No, never any better. I've had him 7 years and he has always done it. Saddle fitted by bridlepath, back, teeth all fine and up to date. He probably does do it in asscociation with work yes, but he does love working so I don't know. :confused:

Niclole, he did have an elastic girth when I bought him but I'm wasn't confident using it. Maybe I need to have another go with one. Feeding polos is a definate no no, that starts a whole new set of problems. :D