HELP, cant keep rugs on!!!

bellgave

Visit site
Any ideas how to keep a rug on a horse who just keeps on ripping them off!!?? In all my years have never had ahorse that really didnt get over this, but my sisters 6 year old stallion can not help himself but to tear off anything you put on him as soon as your back is turned!!! We have tried Nobite and all sorts of nasty tasing things but it just doesnt work. have now bought him a 1/2 muzzle thing which seems to be working (thank goodness as we have run out of tatty old rugs for him to attack) but he seems very down about it being on and hasnt figured out how to eat etc. I say leave him and he'll figure it out soon enough, my sister thinks Im being mean!! He needs a rug on, its getting cold and ironically his coat is great but he needs a rug as its not getting any warmer. Any advice or suggerstions greatly appreciated!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
is he turned out or in?

I think the grazing muzzle thing sounds your best bet. I would have suggested a surcingle had it just been that he rolls and gets rid of them.

Other than that just don't buy pricey rugs. Saxon do a great range cheap, and YO has them on all her ponies, and only one got destoyed last year, and that was a pony ripping it off the other's back!
Or take out a shares in a rug company.
grin.gif
(sorry!!)

bellgave

Visit site
He lives in. And he tears rugs off him, he doesnt roll out of them!!! Even a cheap range of rugs is going to be pricey as at the minute he goes through one a night, it is in shreds on the floor within an hour!! We even try to put the raggy bits back on him and stitch them back together but he doesnt like that either!!!
We have contacted his old owner today to see if they have a solution, weve only had him since its been hot, so hes not worn anything!!! Maybe he is a naturist and just likes being Naked!!!!!

Jemayni

Visit site
My horse does this whenever he has a reason to... He did it when i first had him because he was riddled with lice. The lice got better but he then knew it was a good way to get rid of rugs, he gets them off if hes hot or malting (I think cos hes itchy.) He also does it for like a month after hes been clipped (which I've never really understood.) Is there anything you can think off that might be upsetting him or do u think hes prob jus got tempermental stallion syndrome...

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
funny that ive got a horse that does that, i think he just gets bored. nz on in the field is fiine. at night he wears an old nz over the top of night rug seems to do the trick. I do have one of those masks that sits under his chin, dont like using headcollars in the stable so would only use that if he need bandages on. Im on a mission to design stable bandages that are indestructable!!! hope this helps. i was warned he did this but not a major probs, just cant leave a sheet on him in the summer before shows but hey i do dressage so not too much of a problem.