HELP!!! Confused about trailer test!

Benefice1

Visit site
Have just brought a trailer
grin.gif
but as i passed my test after Jan 97 my license is restricted to what i can drive.

I have been looking on the dvla/direct gov website but it is sooooo confusing.

I am entitled to drive: -

"Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle"

But i am assuming that a 4x4 and a trailer and a horse is way more than this!

Has anyone taken their test? Can you please explain it in plain english for me coz i am very confused!
confused.gif

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Yes - unfortunately you will have to take the test
frown.gif

It is the same format as a HGV test, but with no low ratio gear bit and no theory test.

Basically you will be expected to do a reversing manouvour, emergency stop, un-hitch and re-hitch at the centre, then have about 40 mins of normal driving on the road including hill starts, but no manouvours on the road. You will be expected to have a generally higher standard of driving than in a car test - but nothing to worry about - the hardist bits are having to reverse the car to hitch up the trailer - you have to be able to reverse to precicely the correct place - and the reversing with trailer. My insturctor stuck stickers on my rear windscreen and trailer to line up which help me with these!

I suggest you book a couple of trailer lessons with a proper instructor who will explain how they do the reversing manouvure and the precise format of the test.

If you Google HGV Test, you can find pictures and exact measurements of your reversing and stopping manouvours so you can practice if you have enough space.

Hope this helps!

ecrozier

Visit site
Hello
I have taken the test as I had the same restriction.
Your best bet is to find a local LGV driving centre where they teach people to do their HGV centres etc, and they can give you some lessons and arrange your test etc...I was advised that even though I was quite competant towing, it was a good idea to have lessons as they are really picky and you need to do things in a certain 'way'. Plus it will ensure that you've practiced all the stuff they ask you to do like the reverse manouvre!

Benefice1

Visit site
yeah i thought i would but the website doesnt make how you do it and whats involved very clear.

Thanks for the advice, better get practicing!! I am right in thinking that i can tow if i have 'L' plates on and have someone who is entitled to tow with me arent i??

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yeah, basically you need to take it if you have a normal Ifor Williams / Bateson / Sinclair etc. etc. trailer.

It costs a bomb to have the lessons and do the test. Most people (so I heard) fail it at least the first time! I passed third time lucky....! It was hell! Ive driven a trailer about for years until finally taking the test (I still know people now who still have not done it....!) yet its totally different!

First off, you answer a few questions which the examiner asks while you stand at the vehicle. Like "tell me how you'd load this trailer" or "show me where you check your oil level" etc. The questions are on the internet somewhere so they're easy to learn!

Then you get in and go straight into doing your reversing manouvre - you have to stop on one side of the 'road' (but its in a yard) between 2 cones, then reverse up whilst turning the trailer to miss another cone, across the 'road' to straighten up and reverse into a parking space thing! It was a real pain in the butt, I found this the hardest because it is very easy to screw it up and in the test, you get one go at it! Then you do your emergency brake (like in the car test). Then you go out on the road for about 45 mins usually in through a city / town and country. You also have to show while on-route a change up and down through the gears, pulling to the side of the road and stopping, pulling away safely etc. etc.

Good luck!

Benefice1

Visit site
it sounds nasty
crazy.gif
havent actually ever towed a trailer before as yet so would neeed some serious practice!! hmmm think i may just leave it to the OH for now!! tee hee
grin.gif

ecrozier

Visit site
It cost me a bit...about £400 for 2 1/2 days of lessons then my test on the last afternon, but I did pass first time with only 3 minors, so it was well worth all the money, never would have done so well if I hadn't had all those hours of lessons!

hati

community.webshots.com
I did it last year and didn't find it too bad. I had a super instructor and my advcice would be to find a good instructor and you will be fine. I can now reverse most trailers and feel that it was worthwhile. I am now currently studying for a HGV theory test.

katiejaye

Visit site
I took my test in feb and it was pretty tough and a FORTUNE! All together lessons cost about £420 and test £85! I was SO determined not to fail that I managed to pass first time...and have to agree with Emma _C that I certainly would not have passed with 2 minor faults without lessons with an instructor. I did a three day intense course and took my test at the end of day 3. I do think the test was worthwhile though as I feel v safe an confident with the trailer and can reverse into lots of tight spaces!

p.s. I got one strange Q in my test which was how would I check my brake lights if I was on my own?

that Q was not on my list of potential Q given to by my instructor!

hati

community.webshots.com
I had driven it a bit (with mum beside me) but hadn't done that much reversing. My instructor got me to practice with the tractor and trailer at home as well as with the jeep and trailer.

Also, in the words of my instructor, he was a bigger b**tard than the examiner and therefore if I coped with him I would be fine with the test. And it worked!

Katiejane- answer is you would reverse trailer up to a wall and see the reflection to check the barke lights on your own.