Help! Covers for tops of wooden gates

TTK

Visit site
Robert the Cobbert is bored and has chewed the top of one of my wooden gates. Ages ago at another yard I managed to buy galvanised metal covers to hide the damage and protect from him doing it again. But, I can't find them on line. I can't even find a search term to find a supplier. Can anyone help please? What are they called? Stockists? Thanks.

WelshD

Visit site
Horsebox fitting suppliers will have something I am sure. If the gates are wide enough then square guttering could be an option maybe?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
In the meantime, I find that a length of non electrified electric string running along the top of a wooden gate works well. It can be temporarily made live to enforce the point.

(The weldmesh is there to dog proof the gate, but also stops chewing).

pippixox

Visit site
Agree electric wire can put them off. Even if not electified it gets in the way. Mine chew the rails in the winter so I electrify it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
A cheapish and easy alternative would be a roll of lead flashing, cut to the required length and easy to bend to shape over the gate.

TTK

Visit site
More brilliant ideas thanks. Though I am a bit worried by a live wire on top of a gate. Me as Homer Simpson every time I open it *ow* *ow* *ow*

popsdosh

Visit site
Please enlighten this obviously lesser mortal of these dire consequences

Ever heard of lead poisoning! Run it by your vet! Same reason you should not leave fencing batterries in the field with horses.

Lead
This metal poses a serious health concern to horses. I have found that horses living near busy freeways always have a level of lead present. Horses that do not have an adequate level of calcium seem to be more susceptible to lead absorption. Most often found in old stables painted with lead based paint, from rain water collection from a lead flashed roof, lead water pipes. Symptoms may be loss of condition and failure to gain weight, muscle weakness, colics, roaring, easy to tire.

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ever heard of lead poisoning! Run it by your vet! Same reason you should not leave fencing batterries in the field with horses.

Lead
This metal poses a serious health concern to horses. I have found that horses living near busy freeways always have a level of lead present. Horses that do not have an adequate level of calcium seem to be more susceptible to lead absorption. Most often found in old stables painted with lead based paint, from rain water collection from a lead flashed roof, lead water pipes. Symptoms may be loss of condition and failure to gain weight, muscle weakness, colics, roaring, easy to tire.
I am aware of the risks you have quoted, if you notice they are all methods of ingestion via a secondary medium, the chances of a horse actually chewing lead on a gate, what do you reckon those would be? The feeling on the horses teeth would replicate any other metal, which is used as a deterrent for wood chewers.

popsdosh

Visit site
I am aware of the risks you have quoted, if you notice they are all methods of ingestion via a secondary medium, the chances of a horse actually chewing lead on a gate, what do you reckon those would be? The feeling on the horses teeth would replicate any other metal, which is used as a deterrent for wood chewers.

What about licking it! If you wish to take the chance please be the Guinea pig! However ask your vet first.
Luckily other metals used to stop chewing arent toxic in their own right.