Help - Dive-bombing Sparrowhawk and Running Out!

StephBiscuit

Visit site
I was riding my favourite pony Jazz in my lesson at Saltburn tonight (6 or 7 year old piebald Irish cob gelding) and we were jumping. We trotted and cantered a cross pole a few times and also did the same when Emma put it up to a straight.
I was cantering up to it again and a Sparrowhawk flew out of the corner of the arena and Jazz went one way and I went the other. Jumped straight back on but after that he kept on refusing that jump. We were doing a small course at the end of the lesson and he jumped the other five jumps but refused to go anywhere near that one!
Any tips? Been riding for 11 years but done a lot more flatwork/ dressage and hacking than flatwork. Also ended up on crutches for two months 3 years ago after cracking a bone in my hip doing a clear round, so a bit nervous of jumping.

be positive

Visit site
The pony probably sensed that you were a little nervous after the fall but this should have been dealt with at the time by your instructor, I would have dropped the pole down to the floor and got you going over it to make sure you finished by at least going back to where the incident happened.
By the next time you ride the pony will have forgotten all about it, try and do the same, the jumps should be somewhere else by then also.