Help - do I keep/sell/swap?? (also in New Lounge)

MissGee

Visit site
Help please... I just don't know what to do.

Here's the story... we had 3 horses, a 28 year old retired boy, and two competition horses who are now 18 and 19 years old. So we decided we ought to think about getting a younger horse to bring on. We wanted something that with a little work could pretty much "hit the ground running" so decided to not go for something too young but bought a gelding rising 6.

He's stunning, a lovely chap, easy to do on the ground, fits in great with our lot and the other couple of liveries horses we have. He's easy to do, nice to have around and great with the dogs etc. The problem is, he needs a lot more ridden work than we first envisaged... he has all the potential to make a fantastic horse, he's bold and brave and will I have no doubt make a fab showjumper (what we bought him to do) but he needs probably a year's worth of work before he will be ready to go out and compete. We've taken him out and about competing and when he's put under pressure he rears... here's the problem. I don't have the confidence to deal with it... so my husband ends up riding him all the time. Which obviously isn't what we wanted, he wants to be able to ride his horse (which is also quirky - so I wont compete him either)... I ride him at home and hack him about no problem.

So here's our dilema... do we keep him, put in the work and hope he turns out to be what we want... or do we sell him...? I have no doubt we (albeit more my husband) could sort him out, with time and patience. Or do we cut our losses and sell him.... I have had him advertised but no one suitable has been so far... I will only sell him to the right home as I don't want him to be passed from pillar to post. He is one gorgeous horse, very striking...

I just don't know what to do... I had one chap come and see him yesterday... agreed exactly with what I have said, fantastic horse, great potential and in a years time will be worth a lot of money, but not what he was looking for as he too wanted something that with a little work would pretty much hit the ground running..... he also said he thought I was mad to be selling him... particularly for the price I'm asking! :eek:

One other thought, what about swaps? Do people do this? Is there any likelihood of something with an older horse wanting to swap for younger/quriky potential?

PS - I've now had him 4 months....

So people help/ideas please.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

4faults

Visit site
If it was me I would be keeping him, I too have a horse that rears when put under pressure, I bought her 9 months ago for 1/4 of what she was worth because her old owner could not cope. Its taken a lot of confidence building work both on the ground and ridden to get her where she is now, we are about to start competing and I have no doubt that it will all be too much for her at first.

If you are certain you want to sell then keep him advertised and keep working with him in the meantime you may suddenly find that you have made so much progress you change your mind and the ad can come down.

I sold my last youngster because he had a tendency to bolt and bronc which I could not cope with, I find rearing much easier to deal with. Everyone has something which is a deal breaker. I am sure some people do swaps or part exchanges even so maybe put that you would be open to that in your advert?

Best of luck :)

lizstuguinness

Visit site
Keep him and take pressure off. A lot of european breed horses are brought on way too quick. If hes a big boy chances are even at 6 hes getting his legs in a muddle, or getting confused, not balanced enough - the list goes on. I had a lovely boy who reared at shows, just gave him another year to grow up and put the smallest mildest bit in we could find - went like a dream after this.

Put the ground work in now at home and reap rewards later.

MissGee

Visit site
Thanks guys, everyone seems to be on the same thinking level as me.... :p

Think I'm going to keep him, take a step back and see where we go... ;)

Vetwrap

Visit site
I regret selling my last horse. I know that it was the right thing to do, because I didn't have the time, the support or the facilities to work through the problems that we had.

It sounds as though you have great support, and you have the time to give him. It would be such a shame to sell him on and then wonder what he could have been for you.

If he has only been with you 4 months, then everything is still fairly new to him. He sounds like he is worth investing the time in.