HELP Feeding Haylage to barned groups of youngsters???

stoneybroke

Visit site
OK Guys I need some advice, we are making alterations to some of the barns and I want to rebuild/amend a dividing wall/partition between two groups so they can feed from either side. Currently each group has haynets and filling them is a laborious and dull process.

there are lots of option such as building a trough the whole length with vertical uprights/dividers every 3ft. This way we can barrow hay/haylage in easily all the way down and the uprights would hopefully deter animals from jumping in from either side. Another alternative is to build 2 tombsone feeders into the partition so effevtively 2 feeding semi circles either side. I have also looked at the IAE straight barriers but that is a hugely expensive option.

There would be 4 or 5 feeding from each side - all ideas welcome but builder wants to start Tues!!!!! :)

Posted in New Lounge and Stable Yard

stoneybroke

Visit site
I would prefer the horses to eat at a lower, more natural level and previous had drama with hayseeds in eyes....sorry should have mentioned that in the original post.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I have a barrier of three high railway sleepers down the length of my barn for the youngsters to feed from. It works well.
There are three sleepers in length in each bay and each length is slotted into a chunk of RSJ.

I do not bed up all the barn as I found that they got soft feet from not having hard standing so, it is just packed down scalpings where they feed their hay from.