HELP for elderly lady who lost her dog suddenly

misst

Visit site
I wonder if there is anyone who can suggest a little poem or suitable gift for my lovely neighbour. She is in her eighties (won't say where but mid to late), very independent and no family or children. We all look out for her and I walk my dogs with her (in case she topples over - which she has done!) most days. She had a rescue Staffie and a rescue Shitzu. They are of course her world and yesterday the staff aged about 9 collapsed whilst out walking. Sadly I was at work and she was alone. A nice man carried him to her house and by the time she drove him to the vet he was gone. Great for him but devastating for her.

Today I will walk with my dogs and her remaining dog. She is tough and in many ways unsentimental. She does not keep momentoes or ashes and does not like to be treated like a little old lady. Her dogs (especially this one) are her family and her life, I am very fond of her but she retreats if she feels overwhelmed by people.

Apart from the obvious sympathy and tea can anyone please suggest a gift or poem or something not too "soppy" that I can get to show how sad we all are for her. He was the best kind of Staffie, deep brown with golden brindles and a great smile. He came from Battersea 8 years ago and had a wonderful life with her.

I will check back later today - thanks in advance.

misst

Visit site
Why didn't I think of that! Brilliant idea and right up her street. Thank you. I am off to see her in a minute I will tell her I shall do this and I expect another couple of neighbours who keep an eye out for her will do the same.

Luci07

Visit site
Join Stafford welfare as well? Probably way too early but there are a lot of older staffords needing a home who are overlooked and 9 is not old for a Stafford. As and when, and if she is int, I can put her touch with the right people at Welfare and there are ties to Battersea as well

Piaffe123

Visit site
I welled up at that - how soppy am I! A donation to Battersea sounds beautiful - perhaps you could put a photo of him in a frame with a printed voucher/receipt of some kind to show you 've donated in [insert dog's name here]'s memory?

misst

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I went out with her today and we had a lovely walk. As I said she is a tough cookie - and great fun too. I told her I would donate in Bryns name on Tuesday (working the weekend) and she was very touched and happy. I don't have a good picture of him but I know another neighbour has one so I think that will be given to her. I have given her a rose to plant in his memory as she loves her garden.

She is determined to get another dog to rescue sooner rather than later and I think this and her other dog will help her look forward rather than backward.

The kindness of strangers was great yesterday. A man and a young woman carried him for her and helped her to get him home. So if anyone knows of 2 kind dog walkers who were on Brentmoor Heath in Surrey yesterday and helped an older lady with her Staffie she would like to thank them :).

Lucie 07 I shall come back to you re Staffie Welfare. She is concerned as she had a fight to get Bryn when she was in her 70's and although fit and strong for her age she may be considered too old to rescue another dog - fingers crossed she will be able to as she walks for an hour twice a day with her dogs off lead and is home all day every day with them. They could not have a better life.

RIP Bryn and thank you all for your lovely suggestions.

tiggs

Visit site
This poem helped me but might be too sentimental

I stood by your bed last night,
I came to have a peep,
I could see you were crying,
you found it hard to sleep,

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
'It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well, I’m fine I'm here,

I was with you in the morning, I watched you make your tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me,

I walked with you toward the house ,as you fumbled for your key,
I gently put my nose on you, I smiled and said it's me,

You looked so sad and tired as you sank into your chair,
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there,

It's possible for me, to be near you every day,
I say to you with certainty,’ I never went away,

When the time comes for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll run across to greet you and we'll stand together side by side,

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see,
Be patient, live your journey out.....
Then come home with me.

misst

Visit site
OMG tiggs I love that poem. It has made me cry. I would love it if someone thought of it for me but am unsure how she might react. She cried this morning but quickly "got a grip" and did not want me to see her crying....

She is such a funny old stick and so proud. She has fallen out with people in the past who have tried to get too close. I want to help but want to not overwhelm her. I'm actually very fond of her as are one or two other neighbours. I may show her the poem in the future "in passing" over a cup of tea or something but she may find it too sentimental.
I find it sad she is so proud and cut off but she manages so well and has my huge admiration.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
She sounds like the very best kind of old lady, wonderful spirit and a great attitude. I do hope she is able to give another dog a home, she would be perfect for a dog, who like her, is not in the first flush of youth but still able to get out and about and has a lot to give. Lovely that people are happy to keep an eye out and help when needed as well, that sort of neighbourliness is sadly lacking in so many places, you want to keep hold of that x

chillipup

Visit site
Blimey guys...you've got me in tears now. Both you misst for being such a great neighbour and having a good heart and tiggs for the poem. I'm off to blow my nose.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Stories like this restore my faith in human nature. Hope there is someone like the OP and the kind people that helped carry the dog home if ever I need it - I am only in my sixties and even now would probably struggle if I had to carry either of my males any distance (35kgs).

misst

Visit site
I am lucky as we have lovely neighbours and we do help out but don't live in each others pockets IYSWIM. I walk my dogs daily anyway so it is easy enough to pair up with her so I am not "helping" - she is good company. The other people locally are all doggy or animal people and I think that helps! We have to check on her without being obvious but I honestly think everyone does it without thinking and surely if most people knew that someone was in their mid to late 80's and lived alone with no family at all nearby they would do the same?

The heroes were the pair who carried a very big staffie over rough ground and back to her house on a makeshift stretcher - such kindness. She would not allow them to come to the vet but I believe they offered. She did say she wished she could thank them.

Thanks to all for your lovely suggestions - they are much appreciated.