Help getting off box!!

sye777

Visit site
Hi, thought I would ask here but apologies if wrong area!!
My 11yo TBX loads like a dream into our 3.5 tonne box either alone or in company. Trouble we have is the unloading the other end! He literaly "jumps" off from the top of the ramp. I have tried full tack, bridle only, lunge line , first off, last off, strong competent man (and woman)! but we are all stomped and cannot stop him doing this
frown.gif
Sheer exuberance would be one thing however this happens every time we unload (home and away) and is dangerous for both him, me and anyone in the near vicinity. He has caused injury to himself before when I stupidly removed his travel boots thinking he may be better walking without............never again!
Anyway any advice would be gratefully recieved as we are now aproaching 2 yrs of this battle and know I have this to look forward to again this weekend
crazy.gif
so please help!!
Many thanks
smile.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Have you ever tried putting straw on the ramp and the surface he going down on to? Can be effective.
Another way can be to make them drop their nose to the floor before you allow them to take a step but if he's got into the routine of jumping off then it may be too dangerous to put someone in that position.
If all else fails then always park so that you can drop ramp onto a higher surface- a grassy bank or something would do (but you need side blockades, obviously) and try to train him to just walk off it when it's horizontal...

Good luck!!

sye777

Visit site
Hi, No never tried straw! Will deffo give it a try thanks.
Always attempt to arrive early to cause minimal disruption to everyone else but so so soooooo frustrating
confused.gif

sye777

Visit site
Hi and thanks but dont think it will work unfortunately. Its a bit like a veil with him that comes down and he tenses up, and retreats into his own world for the 20 seconds it takes to unload! Back to normal on the ground.
Often wondered if maybe something has "closed" on him hence his panic to get it over asap. Previous history is unknown.

kate081

Visit site
I'd try a dually (pressure) halter. Saw Monty Roberts sorting a problem loader. Initially sparks were flying as it was so frantic. By the end of 20 min his owner was leading him on & off. You'll need to get the respect on the ground with the halter first & then spend a session at home loading & unloading. I think whatever you do it's gonna need time & patience. Good luck
smile.gif

PnO

Visit site
I had this trouble when I moved my two horses before Christmas. My 2 and a bit year old had never been in the lorry before so wasn't sure if she would even load, well to everyones suprise she did within 5 mins!! Wooppy we all thought, until we tried to get her off! It took us around 30 mins of persuading or coaxing down but she just didn't seem to be able to work out how to get off, we even pushed her aside and got the other one of hoping she would follow, no luck! In the end we resorted to tying a lunge line around her back end and basically pulling, like yours she leapt of and buggered off across the yard! Not good! Have you tried unloading him on a trailer, they tend to have lower ramps and might just get him used to walking down calmy? I have no real suggestions but will be watching replies closely for some ideas to try on my mare! x

sye777

Visit site
Had looked at these before but not properly and so now will look again! I can honestly say I have no experience of using one but will go and have a real look! Thankyou
smile.gif

hannahkirkhill

Visit site
Not suggesting you do this but you have just reminded me of a story a Irish man told me. He was sent a horse that was jumping off the lorry to try to stop it doing it. He loaded it up and drove down to a local canal then dropped the ramp on the edge of it, he put a long lunge line on to the horse, it jumped off the box and landed in the canal he did this 3 days in a row and claims it never did it again- im suprised it ever went on the box again, also that it didnot notice the canal and not jump in it but he swor it was true!!!
Sorry no help though, cant think of anything that has not already been put!!

sye777

Visit site
Hi , Not travelled him in a trailer but have had him in one on the yard. He was ok with it but he had to get off the way he got on, ie backwards!!
He is not keen on narrow gaps/spaces so have never persued this route as he travels so well in the box..........just unloads so badly
crazy.gif

Maybe I should try him in one again . Thankyou.