help,halti prob

Cahill

Visit site
my dog has recently had a lump removed from his jowl.

not sure what caused it but have my suspicion that it may have come about from the plastic clip under the nose piece of his Gentle-leader as it is on his right side (I walk him to my left.)

I do need some extra control as he can pull and is a strong dog
(yes we do train but also need to be safe)

so I am looking to buy another type of headcollar.
perhaps something fleece lined and figure of8????

what suggestions do people have?

thank you.

Bellasophia

Visit site
If the halti was working for you,what about covering it with a tube of fleece or even sheepskin,where it was rubbing on the lower side?

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

what suggestions do people have?

thank you.

Have you considered teaching the dog to walk at heal, and without a lead of any sort? Once free heal walking is established, then a slip lead will provide that extra bit of security, without the need for any other contraption. It's do-able!

Alec.

{97702}

Visit site
I think you will find that Cahill's lovely dog is fully agility trained and very obedient AS, but being a responsible owner she prefers not to take unnecessary risks when walking her dogs....

Cahill

Visit site
also was wondering what the headcollars are that the lead attaches to behind the head and users experiences please?

(alec swan- you will see in my OP that I do train my dogs,infact only a couple of weeks ago he won 1st and two 2nds in kc obedience. the simple fact is,i live on a busy rd and have to walk a little way to get away from the traffic,there is no PATH or VERGE,just hedgerows.out of these pop rabbit,squirrels sometimes deer too.however well trained any dog,it would be plain stupid to not have full control in my circumstances with cars and lorries wizzing by at 50mph.)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I use a canny collar, when Diesel did his cruciate last year and after his op he needed to be kept on a lead for weeks, its like power steering, even though he was full of energy he walked beautifully.

Mine dont normally go on the lead as I walk out my back door straight into our fields although I always carry them with me just in case.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I use a Dogmatic, padded and just sits on the dog's head, only coming into play if he pulls too much. It also does not go up around his eyes like some of the others do.