help .........horse leaning on bit

charmaine

Visit site
When I'm out hacking my gelding feels like he is leaning heavily on the left side of the bit. Although I hold both reins equally you can see the left rein is tighter than the right rein and this transfers up my arm. I unfortunately have tendonitis in this arm and it's doing me no good at all.

I've tried changing his bit to one with rollers hoping it would make it more difficult for him to lean on it but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on what bit to use etc.?

I know he probably needs more schooling on the left rein as this is his stiff side but I don't have anywhere to school him, even our fields are too steep. I really don't want to give up on him because in every other respect he is wonderful and he is a very safe hack. All suggestions welcome.

charlie55

Visit site
Have you had his back checked? Its quite strange that he only leans on one side which makes me think stiff through back/neck on one side? And if your grazing fields are that steep too then he may well indeed have sore muscles.
smile.gif

sally87

Visit site
give & retake the affected rein as you ride, particularly when you feel him lean on you, you dont need to be in a school in order to do this as schooling. also try riding him on a longer rein so he has nothing to lean against. he needs to learn to carry his own weight instead of making you carry it for him.

Roody2

Visit site
If you are really struggling you could try a waterford as they are very difficult bits to lean on.

Are you sure you are straight in your body and not hanging on to the left rein - this is a very common problem for a lot of riders and I did it for ages before getting myself sorted by a chiropractor. I wasn't even aware I was hanging on until it was pointed out to me.

I agree the carrot stretched work wonders. Also think about other stretches for you and your horse before you get on to ride him.