Help! Horse shoulder spasming

wispagold

Visit site
My sister is at uni and has taken her horse. The horse (corrie) arrived last thurs. She is a 17yr old ID x TB that we have had for 7 years. She is currently on box rest for a chipped side bone after badly over reaching but is sound in walk andtrot and on an exercise programme of 40mins walking with 3 mins of trot that is being built up.

Yesterday afternoon she was found in her stable with her shoulder in a kind of spasm. The spasm is at the top of her left front leg, bottom of her shoulder area and is quite violent (can be seen through her rug). It resembles a very rapid heart beat (it is rhythmical). Corrie seems fine in herself, breathing normal, sound in walk, eating, pooing normally etc. We have tried walking her out in hand, stretching her leg, massaging the muscle and hot and cold alternative compress.

If you put her hand deep into her elbow and press outwards, towards the inside of her front leg you can get the twitching to stop. I have timed 5mins for the longest period of time we have stopped it for. Also doing neck stretch does seem to stop it for about 20 secs. When it starts again it starts fairly slowly and then speeds up and becomes more violent.

We have spoken to our vets who have said it doesn't sound like an emergancy worthy of getting a vet out on a sunday. They have suggested giving her bute and keep an eye on her and if she gets worse, uncoordinated get the vet out. Suspected trauma to the muscle.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this before because everyone I have spoken to doesn't seem to know what it could be or what to do, other than the things we have already tried. I have tried to get hold of some physios but no luck with it being sunday.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!