Help! Horse stopping and turning- cant stay on!

sherwood'

Visit site
Help! my 5 yr has been going great this yr and its my first yr jumping and we were gettign double clears in 90 so we moved up to metre a few weeks ago which was going well.

But i was schooling at home and asked him for a long one which he cudnt do and he stopped- as it was my fault fair enuf! but he did this a week later over a tiny verticle and kept doing it and i fell off a few times as in very last stride- u think he is going to go and he stops and turns to the left very quickyl and i go out side door.

i took him to a comp lats week and he jumped double clear in 90 but stopped and di this two fecnes form home in metre and i fell off. because i am falling off i cant hit him which i really dont want him to think he is gettign away with it.

he is generally forgiving if i am not 100% right to a fence and this is unusal behaviour for him as he is generally very genuine?

it is my fault as a professional jumped him yesterday for me and he was perfect but i am loosing confidence now that he is going to go and worrying about seeing strides now incase i am wrong and he stops!

i was going to stick to 90 for a while to get both our confidence up but am worried he will do it in this class too. he isnt over faced as he jumped 1.10 last yr with a professional

help!

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
Id say your horsey has learnt that if he does that you exit out the side door !!

Stick to 90cm to help your confidence for a few weeks if you are ok at this level x

sfward

Visit site
Would it help to go back to simple grids with placing poles for a bit - then he can't get wrong if the striding's all worked out for him, and will give you confidence too as you won't be worrying about having to see a stride. Come in trot if it helps.
If he's ducking out left you could try putting a side pole in for a bit just to discourage him from dodging left.
I would think he's just trying it on as he's discovered he can get away with it; go back to basics for a bit and I'm sure he'll forget all about it.

samp

Visit site
I would not do any comps until you are securer in the saddle. I would get some lessons on the flat and over jumps as sounds like you are both having a confidence crisis and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to correct

KatB

Visit site
Go back to litlle fences so he learns he HAS TO go over it, and you can come in slow enough to stick to him if he dives. Then work the height back up.

sherwood'

Visit site
Ok i will do thanks! Thats what is worrying me- if i cud jsut stay on and then be able to hit him it would make me feel better but the way he does it is so quick!

I had thought of a side pole too- ill try that and grid work! thanks!

sherwood'

Visit site
thanks! i will do- i have been having loads of lessons but we have hit a rut obviously! i jsut assumed that as he had gone round happy in the 90 the other day I shud do the metre. I know now that i shudnt have but hindsight is wonderful!

Tempi

Visit site
i definately wouldnt compete for a while - go back to jumping small fences at home until you are both comfortable.

I take it you have eliminated any source of pain? (ie back/teeth/tack)

sfward

Visit site
I had a pony that used to do the same thing; he was unbelievably quick, literally up to the last stride he'd have his little ears pricked and you thought he was going and then bam! out the side door...
crazy.gif

I think the only way to stop this becoming an ingrained habit is to not give him the opportunity for a while so he gets it out of his head. So stick to small fences that you can jump from a standstill if necessary, gridwork, poles - and jump out of trot and walk so he doesn't have the opportunity to use speed to his advantage. I also find sometimes it helps to have someone stand just to the side of the fence (on the left), as their presence and body language may also discourage him from ducking out towards them. Just an idea, might not work but did for mine...
Good luck!

sherwood'

Visit site
Yea all of that was done recently. Altho he is jumped in a loose ring snaffle and i noticed it was nipping him so i have bought him rubber bit rings