HELP - Horses back hooves rubbing together around coronet band

FemelleReynard

Visit site
So my boy is a big (17 hand) 10 year old ISH. Hunted in Ireland and hunted over here until I got him just over a year ago, now he still hunts but does a bit of everything else as well. As you can imagine, he's not very well schooled at all, is very ungainly, not really aware of his size and just understands how to go forwards (at speed!).

Every time I ride him his back hooves rub together on the inside which rubs away the hair around the coronet band, kind of rubs the hoof wall away, and I've noticed lately that it sometimes bleeds very slightly too (if we've been on a long hack, or schooled for instance).

This rubbing is sometimes worse than other times. I have tried a fetlock ring, which prevented the rubbing slightly on the foot that it was on, but the other one was just as bad, and I wasn't keen on putting a ring on both fetlocks. I have also tried brushing boots on both back feet which again helped, as it was just the rubber taking the rubbing, so eventually the boot would wear out and I'd get a new pair.

I realise that the rubbing is probably caused by a combination of bad conformation and bad schooling, so my question is, are there any schooling exercises that I could do to make his back end stronger to stop this rubbing? Or do you think I should get a physio to look him over to see if there is anything more serious or if they can recommend any particular exercises/stretches or something that may help? It's worth noting that I don't have access to an arena regularly (I occasionally hack the 4 miles to a nice big indoor if I'm jumping or something), so I'd prefer schooling exercises that I could do out hacking or on the ground.

The horse is shod religiously every 5 weeks, so I don't think it's caused by overgrown feet either.

Thanks a lot.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Has he always done it or has he got worse recently? If he's always done it I would get a physio and I would do lots of walking up and down hills to develop his musculature. I did this with my horse who knocked hell out her hinds and she now doesn't need boots for hacking at all. It took 6 weeks of walking for an hour about 5 days a week. I still boot her for schooling as she is less balanced on a circle but I am hopefully this will improve with correct work and strength.

If he's got worse then it's a vet you need.

FemelleReynard

Visit site
Thanks for the reply FfionWinnie. No he has always done it. It just rubs slightly more if we're out for longer and he gets more tired and sloppier. The hill work sounds sensible and we have quite a few around where I'm based which I can make use of.

I will try that initially and see how I get on.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would definitely get a good physio to help you, mine brushes less after a session.

140C455A-6A0B-4DC9-BBF4-FE57D3A22A2E.png_zpsyxr8re5e.jpeg

npage123

Visit site
My veteran, semi-retired TB has got a lot of conformational faults, including his hind end. He won't be able to put up with a muscle strengthening programme or any sort of rehab treatment as he is now too old for that and have had too many tendon injuries. His action has become so close together behind that he permanently wears protective boots behind. If the mud in the field is really bad, then I'm forced to use sausage boots on both hinds, but they don't really do enough. I have found that using Westropp petal overreach boots behind to be the ideal solution. Other types of overreach boots work well too, (not the ones with the nobbly bit with the purpose of keeping the bulby bit between the heel bulbs). I used to use the softer neoprene ones for a while, which looked very comfortable and did the job, but they didn't last very long at all as they get broken in the area where he rubs together. Which I suppose proves the fact that he needs protection behind as he would have rubbed himself with the opposing leg instead of rubbing the boot.

Kat

Visit site
My friend's horse started doing this, not all of a sudden but it started in a mature horse for no obvious reason that hadn't done it previously. She used over reach boots (smooth neoprene ones with a patent outer) and that stopped the rubs (she tried a fetlock ring first without success ).

Then for unrelated reasons she removed the horse's shoes and it stopped. Just like that. So I would suggest taking the shoes off, the majority of horses manage fine without back shoes. If you really can't manage without shoes I would take a long hard look at your farrier talk to him and maybe consider a second opinion or a new farrier.

FemelleReynard

Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. It's certainly given me a lot to think about.

I put some overreach boots on the back at the weekend and began some hill work so I will see how that's going after a few weeks of doing it. npadge123 I feel your pain RE: ruining the overreach boots very frequently, but as you say, I'd rather that than him rubbing himself raw.