Help - horses mane falling out

strawbs

Hi

Yesterday I noticed my mare's mane falling out - you can just run your hand down it gently and end up with clumps in your hand (she doesn't have much to lose in the first place!). She's not too well in herself at the mo - on ventopulmin granules for a touch of COPD like symptoms. She's not rugged, not itchy and eating ok. Do you think it's because she's generally 'run down' or something more sinister? When I look at the roots of her mane, it's a little bit dry - but nothing major. Should I be worried? I've had her for nearly 5 years and I think I can remember once previously she lost a bit of her mane, but I can't remember anything shedding as quickly as this appears to be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Turks

Hi OP, if she was mine I'd have a chat with the vets on the phone initially. Ours are pretty good like that. Keep us posted. :)

exracehorse

Speak to vet. Blood tests? When I lost my hair 5 years ago I.e went thin etc, I found out it was cancer and hair is the first thing you lose if your poorly. My horse has just had a short back and sides because his mane was thin due to the neck piece rubbing from his winter rug