HELP - Irish peeps - livery yard in Kildare?

4whitesocks

Visit site
Firstly sorry haven't been on in a while - was on hols and then in London with work so all a bit mad
anyway my boy Sid was going to be used in an equestrian college over here (mentioning no names for reasons to follow) from Sept through to Christmas - mainly because he needs schooling at his age (5) my YO is pregnant and can't ride, I can't get to the yard during the week in winter and my job has just doubled in size and we've just moved house loads of work to do and all in all it would have been great for him ridden two hours a day, jumping x country dressage competing etc. (oh and it was free so I could add to the stable building trailer buying fund)

dropped him off on Tuesday with another horse from the yard - staff knew him as I was there at a BHS camp with him in April
phone call weds to come and collect him as he was 'unreliable'

they rode him once, wouldn't canter on the right leg and he 'threatened to buck'.......(they knew he hadn't been ridden in two weeks)
anyway I could rant for ever but there's no point!
Does anyone know a good yard in kildare that will school (or at least excercise) as well as livery???

any advice or contacts welcome!!

Thanks folks

Lark

Visit site
Where abouts in Kildare are you? I know quite a few yards around the county so may have a suggestion.

druid

Visit site
Calliaghstown do schooling livery, I also have a number for a very small private yard who would probably take him on.

Alternatively..I'll PM you this evening.

4whitesocks

Visit site
THanks Druid - think Calliaghstown might be a bit far for me but if they school it would probably be worth it - are they good on flatwork?

Private yard would be great too - maybe you could PM me your mobile & i'll give you a shout

Lark

Visit site
Hmmh Coilog Eventing Livery yard in Kilmeague wouldn't be too far away from you. They have an indoor/outdoor weekly shows on a Friday. A derby track and x-country fences. It seems to be a very relaxed and laid back place and I do know that they have a stable Jockey who schools the horses.

Lark

Visit site
Really...they only do diy?? I know one girl for sure who was putting her horse in there on full! unless they limit the amount.

I don't know a whole lot about the centres mentioned above. I know that Kildare Int has great facilities but if I recall expensive enough. I don't know anything about Borehard. I am in Kildare town itself and found it very difficult to find facilites close at hand. I have the horses at livery in Clane but there is also Harmony Cottage which would be close enough - lovely place.

Lark

Visit site
Oh...just thinking about it, Kilrainey may be a good option - beside Edenderry - huge indoor - couple of outdoors, new x-country. They have jumping every Friday to the wee small hours and have a very good RC team.

Its a very down to earth place - nice crowd.

druid

Visit site
They def. school (Have had one in from there). Kildare Int. is good but they don't do schooling AFAIK just working or full (I've got 2 over there on on either...bloody expensive)

CastleMouse

Visit site
Harmony Cottage Farm do full livery
smile.gif

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Met a few peeps from Kilrainey at the National JumpX lovely peeps and they have one of the biggest RC clubs with around 90 members! Sorry thats all I know! But they seemed to really like the place.

4whitesocks

Visit site
spoke to kilrainey - they seem to be really reasonably priced but I reckon they might be a bit far away

am thinking now that as it's only for four months maybe I should bite the bullet and try and come up with the cash to take him somewhere really good (mind you called the holsteiners yard and they charge 380 a week for them to school - it does include 2 lessons (normally cost 80 a go) but somehow I don't think the OH would fancy taking on the mortgage by himself!!!)

anyway thanks all for the advice

will keep you posted - gonna try to get to a few yards this weekend

4whitesocks

Visit site
Went to see the 'new' Harmony cottage today - it's only 15 minutes away on the curragh brand new stables but no real facilities yet, they have a SJ arena set up outside but it's on 40 acres and they are putting in an all-weather x country, dressage arena etc. Seemed like really nice people, they'll school, horses all looked in great nick and the feedroom stank of garlic (which I reckon is a good sign!)
I liked the fact there weren't too many horses there, they have turnout every day and generally seemed like a nice place to be

Picked Sid up this evening and his back in his paddock until wednesday when I have someone to bring him up
poor baby is a tad confused to say the least

Thanks again for all the advice - will let you kow how I get on with Harmony Cottage

Lark

Visit site
New Harmony Cottage on the Curragh! I thought they were still in Derrinturn! where is it exactly?
Did they say how much a week?

4whitesocks

Visit site
If coming from the motorway it's a right turn after thoroughbred remedies and before angelsea house the horse hospital - they are the first yard on the left...

€120 a week including schooling
they mainly seem to have warmbloods but lovely bright airy stables (and very little else at the moment but lots to come)

where do you have yours in livery?

Lark

Visit site
Oh right - well that is handy. Would be handy for me too!! I have mine in livery in Clane - Hazelbrook Equestrian centre. Its my friends yard so it suits me really for the moment. And I have tons of help as they would be very good on the schooling tuition front.

At the moment I am actually scoping out my own setup in Kildare also. Top end - do everything you want basically but it'll probably be a couple of years until its up and running.