Help - Judging

cbmcts

Visit site
:eek: I've been volunteered to judge at a riding club show next week.

Looking forward to it but has anyone got any tips?

My background is in M&M s but the ring I'm doing is all ridden classes, everything from family pony, LR, cobs and riding horse...I'm not used to plaits and blingy things :p

Quick crash course required!

PS I'm not that dopey, just not really sure of all the finer points of those type of classes.

TIA

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just stick to your guns. It is quite likely that at least one competitor/parent will question your decision and while it is useful to give feedback/tips for improvement, you need to make sure that you do not find yourself justifying your decisions. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

showjumpergirl

Visit site
Ditto the above. Also, at local level, classes tend to be won or lost on manners, behaviour and training rather than conformation or turnout. Just have fun, be nice and do not let bad losers spoil the event! :)

abina

Visit site
at local level you wont go far wrong with manners and a decent show.

for all the types, look here www.rehorses.com

Brilliant link - I'm in the same position at the bank holiday weekend - normally dressage judge but got roped in somehow - don't even remember saying Yes !! But Hey as my friend said ( county level judge) the judges decsion is final !! LOL

Sparkles

Visit site
I'd still mark for conformation, even at local level, in the show classes. Not really minor things sure, but certainly keep in mind for ovious thing like splints/curbs/other obvious knocks/dishing or other faulty action etc.
Will save for the complaints after of people not in the placings saying the winner dished/had spavins/etc.

So do bear conformation in mind, specially when it comes down to mainly in the open showing class/riding horse/etc as you'll generally have a few 'top' ones which you'll have to narrow down for the final placings. If you have two left of equally matched manners and show, then conformation will be the deciding factor. Happened with me, two beautifully schooled ones which both did a faultless group and individual...but one had a curb and the other didn't, so this made for the final placing for me :)

Be polite, have fun and open/ready for any questions after each class and advice on what to improve on etc.

And don't take any complaints to heart too much. I had one or two and really took them to heart and felt horrible...but then realised every judge had the same anyway, it wasn't me personally. At the end of the day, the ones in the placings will be happy, some who aren't in the placing's won't be happy. That's life sadly. Trust your gut and stick with it. :) Best feeling to me was when a girls mum who had come out of her way to find me after the show, thanking me for making her and her daughters day and that it was their first show, new pony and they'd absolutely loved it. And they weren't even one's who'd won. So that really made my day. As that's what shows, especially at local level, should be about anyway...just enjoying a nice day out!

Have fun :)

Last edited:

Divasmum

Visit site
You must be suitable or they wouldn't have asked you! The basics of a lovely horse that fills the eye and does a good individual show is the same throughout different types/breeds. Also if there is a first ridden remember they only walk and trot all together but the individual show can be more complex. Good luck and enjoy.