Help! Jump saddles for lanky eventers?

becca1305

Visit site
Suggestions gratefully received for monoflap jump saddles suited to riders who have exceptionally long thigh bones, and/ or reviews/opinions on the saddles I've found below would be fantastic please as I am really beginning to struggle and get a bit bamboozled!

I currently ride in a 17.5 inch forward cut model of an equipe synergy mono flap, it is a little small for me but was the biggest size little mare could take and I don't notice too many problems when riding her. Riding big new mare however I seem to always be sat at the back of the saddle and can get a bit left behind at times. My instructor has really picked up on the fact that the saddle is too small for me so I am getting pushed back to fit in it - sitting in the correct place knees are over front of saddle. I sat in her 18inch forward cut amerigo yesterday and had exactly the same problem, however I then hopped up into a 17inch Butet flat seat XC saddle which felt the best of the lot and even the 17 inch was almost big enough for my legs!

Conclusion - I need something with REALLY forward cut panels, some kind of knee and thigh block but not massive ones, and a flat XC seat. So essentially this http://www.sederholmselected.co.uk/product_p/buspec1-xc-p.htm but ideally I could really do without paying new Butet prices!

Disclaimer - Just looking for advice on what saddles might be worth trying for my long legs, then can try and get hold of one/some of the potentially suitable saddles for my saddle fitter/ brand's saddle fitter to test fit on my mare, her comfort is my priority but my equipe fits her well so no point getting another saddle unless it fits her and me.

Ones I've found -
CWD flat cross country saddle, but no idea of prices/ reviews/ how to trial and buy in UK (have emailed them and awaiting response).
http://cwdsellier.com/product/FLAT+CROSS-COUNTRY+SADDLE/808

Black Country Vinici Tex. Slightly worried seat isn't flat enough to accommodate for my long thigh despite seemingly forward cut knee panels. http://www.blackcountrysaddles.com/saddles/jumping/3

Antares cross country saddle. Not sure what prices are like on these/ how to get hold of in UK? Does anyone know if their UK rep also has second hand ones?
http://www.antares-sellier.com/component/option,com_selle/Itemid,29/id_article,60/

Paul Tapner Wow XC saddle with long blocks. Not sure I'm going to like the feel of a Wow but thought the design looked like it might be worth a shot?
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/paul-tapner-co-designs-new-cross-country-saddle/

Barnsby Liberte Event/ Barnsby Xtreem - struggling to tell if they are very forward cut or whether the design just makes them look like they are? and also what would people say are the positives of the Liberte Vs the Xtreem?
http://www.barnsby.com/barnsby-direct/barnsby-saddles/1-saddles/P130-liberte-event-saddle

Pessoa Legacy Event Monoflap XCH - looks pretty forward cut?
http://www.daviddyersaddles.co.uk/product-10879.htm

Prestige DX jump monoflap - option to have +4cm forward cut
http://www.prestigeitaly.com/scheda.asp?menu=jump&IDproduct=4&LAN=ENG

Any other suggestions or experiences with the listed saddles would be really helpful to aid me in narrowing down a shortlist that might be worth a shot to try and get hold of to trial :). Thank you in advance :).

Javabb94

Visit site
As a fellow lanky person I have the same problem as you :)

Discount the Pessoa legacy XCH - had one and it was very small for me! Wasn't the monoflap though - was standard XCH.

How tall are you? - I'm 5ft 11" not sure whether you are taller/smaller but I would recommend the ideal impala pro monoflap

Whilst in photos it does not look particularly forward cut it is perfect for me in a 17.5" seat.

I'm like you very long hip/knee and out of most saddles my knees were well and truly over the front, and this was only one that fitted both me and horse!

So much so I have 2, 1 for each horse now as luckily fits both!

The Albion kontact lite was forward cut but to me when I had my stirrups up it just felt 'wrong' like the blocks were in wrong position

Most jump saddles on XC length felt too small and pushed me back but the ideal is great and is extremely comfy- very secure and not a bad price considering the quality and the fact it comes with matching leathers and a girth!

Prestige are also pretty good I think for long legs

ElleJS

Visit site
Same problem as you sadly a Butet was the answer! Sorry not much help but Butets really do suit tall & long legs! You do get some 2nd hand ones come up & worth contacting Sederholm. I do also have a Devoucoux which fits me and pony really well.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Also a Butet fan, although Passiers are probably still my first love.

Any of the high end saddles you mentioned will allow you to order whatever flap and block configuration you need, most also offer seat depth options as well. If you are going new, just get what you need. If you are looking for something 'off the rack' then you will likely struggle as most stockists won't carry the most extreme options. If you are looking used. . .you'll just have to beat the bushes, I'm afraid. At that point I'd likely suggest going through a business, like Sederholm or even Saddles Direct as they should know the configuration of the saddles they sell, which is not always the case with private sellers.

becca1305

Visit site
meh I wrote a response ages ago but computer must have eaten it!

Kirsty+ Java - around the same I am 5ft11 1/2. The Pessoa the link is for there was also a straight cut option described as for normal height riders which makes me think the one linked is perhaps for taller riders? but I will have to double check that. Thanks, I had discounted the Impala pro as in pictures it doesn't look really forward cut, but just goes to show the importance of reviews :) will have a look and add to list.

ElleJS - I have the most awful feeling now I've sat in a Butet nothing is going to feel as good! I did ring the lady at Sederholm, and she has a couple in my size but they don't have any blocks and have decided I do need some kind of small knee and thigh block on big mare, but she will ring me if anything comes in :).

Tarrsteps - Yes hopefully the more expensive brands will offer enough custom to fit, although I now know Amerigo don't offer enough of a forward cut option for me :(. Second hand would be ideal, particularly with the pricier saddles, but as you say the chances of me getting one in the size I need are slimmer as theres fewer of them out there. I have been on the phone to Saddles Direct but unfortunately they don't have anything in to suit, but they know their stuff and discussed with me the saddles they had and were honest in that they didn't think any they had at the minute would be right.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Really love my Oliver Townend event saddle which is the same saddle as a Kentaur performer. But I am only just under 5ft8 (not often said "only" in regards to my height!!). I have very long thighs as well. It is really forward cut.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have a Prestige Paris D which is amazing for my long legs. I'm 5ft8 with 34" inside leg, mainly thigh!! Better than my Barnsby Milton, which is still pretty damned good!!!

Foxford

Visit site
Thought I'd comment as I'm 5'10" with giant thigh bones!

I have a Jeffries elite semi cc jump saddle, and it's the most comfy thing I've sat in.

Darremi

Visit site
I am 5.10 with long legs and when I was 17 I saved up and bought a Devoucoux Chiberta with the extra forward-cut flap option. Best decision I ever made. It has a small knee roll that is secure but does not interfere. A flat seat so that you can easily lean back from drop fences etc. The hype about those saddles is all true, it is wonderful to jump and XC in. Well worth the money, and there are a lot of second hand ones for sale if you don't want to fork out for a new one.

DonkeyDerby

New User
Visit site
I have the same issue and am also looking for a new saddle having just bought a new horse! Is it just the Impala Pro (the monoflap one) that suits tall riders or is the "standard" version the same?
Also wondering if anyone has tried the Prestige Versaille, as this is the other model I'm considering :)