Help! Just done the string test and scared now!!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I string tested my rising 5 IDxWB this afternoon thinking she might grow a tiny bit more than the 16hh she is at the moment, to find that, according to the test (I did it twice) she's going to be at least 16.3hh! Has anyone else done this test and had their youngster grow to the height expected, or is it not all that accurate so I dont need to worry?

I'm only 5'4" tall and tbh was hoping she'd stop at about 16.1/16.2 max! Probably mad since mum was 17.1 and dad was 16.2 but she was in pretty poor condition when I got her at 13 months old so the vet at time warned me that she probably wouldn't make her full height. Of course I then took very good care of her and she looks amazing now, and only a little bit bum high.

Hubby's joke about getting me a rope ladder to tie to the saddle for when I fall off is starting to seem like a good idea... ;)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Oh god!! That's going the wrong way lol!! I was hoping someone would say theirs was supposed to get to 17h by the string test and stopped at 16h! Whoops! :eek:

Kat

Visit site
What is the string test? I'm curious, would like to know how much more my rising 5 year old is likely to grow. DH looks a bit big on her so would like her to grow a bit more, don't want a giant though!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I am under the impression that genetics had more to do with mature height than nutrition.. I could be wrong of course.

You'll have to do a search in breeding and there is a thread on there with the string test instructions... lots of different versions of it... hence why it is so inaccurate.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
What is the string test? I'm curious, would like to know how much more my rising 5 year old is likely to grow. DH looks a bit big on her so would like her to grow a bit more, don't want a giant though!

String test as I understand it is you take a lead rope and hold the clip at the point of the horse's elbow, then you run the rope straight down the side of the leg and hold the rope where it meets the midpoint of the fetlock joint. Keeping the clip in the point of the elbow then lift the other hand up towards the withers, wherever the other hand ends up is how tall the horse should be. Not the best description I'm sorry but I'm sure someone else can explain it better! :)

As long as she has a good temp and is easy to do etc does it matter how big she gets???

C&C it doesn't really matter I suppose, she has a lovely temperament and is coming along really well. I'm just used to my 15.1 cob more and so find the thought of a 17h horse a bit daunting! It's a long way down and I'm not getting any younger!! I was harbouring this inner hope that she'd stop where she is now at 16h or just under! She won't be going anywhere anyway I'll just have to live with looking silly on her ;)

Last edited:

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I am under the impression that genetics had more to do with mature height than nutrition.. I could be wrong of course.

You'll have to do a search in breeding and there is a thread on there with the string test instructions... lots of different versions of it... hence why it is so inaccurate.

You're right Tally and I think when I bought her as a yearling I felt ok about a possible 17h horse, now she's made it to 16h it's pushing my comfort zones a bit and I was secretly clinging to the vet's abstarct comment to reassure myself she'd stop where she is! What a wally!! The way I understand it nutrition does play a part but how big a part I don't know! Good to hear that the string test isn't ultimately reliable though, just hope it's unreliable in my favour! ;)

tallyho!

Visit site
You're not a wally!!! Vet might be tho.. lol :D ;);)

Well, I want my filly to be 15.3 and according to string test she'll only juuusstt make that if I am lucky so your experience gives me a bit of hope :)

I did the "measure from coronet to mid-knee, then whatever that is in inches is final height" string test...

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Lol! Maybe I should shave some off of Spring for you to put on your girl?!! Ah well, whatever they end up at we'll still love them I'm sure, I might be scared but I'll still love her! :D

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I've been doing the string test on my filly since she arrived as a skeletal 14 month old, she was 14.1 in height then. She consistently comes out as 17.1. every time. GULP!!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Think I'd be saying more than gulp! I'm going to try the measuring inches between bones etc tomorrow as I only did the rope between elbow and fetlock today and it came out at a very vague 16.3h or slightly more possibly! And mine's a chestnut mare! (Please don't all those who have wonderful chestnut mares shoot me down for that comment, the irony is I always said I would never have a chestnut mare, or another grey because my old boy was so special, or a coloured because I wasn't keen on keeping white bits clean. At one point I had a chestnut filly, a piebald cob and a grey section A... whoops!) :confused: :D

becca1305

Visit site
I would try the measuring from coronet to mid knee tomorrow as you say :) thats accurate on all 4 of my fully grown horses (all different sizes and breeds). Only downside is its making my (also ginger) 2 1/2yo filly out to finish up at 18hh :eek: she's 17hh 1/2 an inch atm so no reason to doubt its accuracy either! So hopefully you can take some comfort in another ginger giantess owner :p. Though Im just under 6ft with long legs so not to worried about mounting in the future, no rope ladder for me thankfully! :D.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Good grief! 18hh? I think I'd cry! Lucky for you that you're so tall, wish I was, I spend ages looking for something to stand on if I ever fall/have to get off! Very embarrassing!

Going to do the other string test tomorrow, after a good long prayer session tonight that it goes the way I'd like it to! 16.1 is just fine! :)

becca1305

Visit site
One of my friends the same; She has a 17.2hh gelding but is a bit of a shortie and my main horse is a 16hh 1/2 an inch mare so we often joke we should swap. I must admit however it is quite amusing watching her try and mount off the ground though :eek: sorry :p.

Haha Im the other way, my mare would be perfect if she was 16.2/16.3hh I often wish she would grow but aged 7 Ive now given up hope! However 18hh even for me is pushing it, and mums already moaning when she rugs her up for me - she stands there patiently and watches mum repeatedly throwing the rug at her trying to get it on :p- so like you for the baby hoss Im hoping its slightly wrong - I also used the fetlock to elbow string and it made her approx the same :( (difficult to tell exactly with that one!). Oh well :) they will be what they will be. It would be interesting to know for how many people the tests were accurate for though :)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Those heavyweight winter rugs are a nightmare to get on big horses!

I must admit I did put this post up hoping to get more input from those that had done it and could say if it was accurate or not! I'm not liking the only exemple of inaccurate so far though, that horse grew a whole hand taller :eek:

One way or the other she'll grow or she won't, it's just with her breeding it would appear I've got another two years at least to find out! ;)

becca1305

Visit site
Perhaps a poll asking of those who have used the string tests whether they ended up accurate or not? I dont know if enough people have done it though.

I dread the idea of mine growing another hand on top of predicted :eek:! Im hoping my girls an early grower as Ive got another 4 to 6 years to know if shes finished growing!

Would be interested to know if the two string tests provide exact same results as I just guesstimated with the lead rope one so may try that with a measuring stick :). Let me know how you get on with the other test :D.

POLLDARK

Visit site
Genes do determine height at maturity if all is well but malnutrition at the wrong time during growth may mean that the full potential of genetic make up is not acheived. Genes are the blueprint but life can throw a spanner in the works.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Thanks Polldark, that was kind of my thinking too! I haven't been able to get to the yard today so I will try the other string test tomorrow and let you know. The idea of a poll is a good one, just have to see if I can figure out how to do it!! Thanks :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well my pure bred highland comes out at over 15hh by the string test, which I think is sadly unlikely. However, I'd rather that than he come out under 14hh (unlikely, he's over 13hh already and only 2) or I'll be another wearing roller skates :eek:

moana

Visit site
sorry, but the only string test I know of needs to be done at 6 months, I don't know of any at rising 5.

I have two youngsters both still under two years, on whome I did the test for curiosity. One boy is already over the 'expected' height! lol:eek:

tallyho!

Visit site
Quite.... however you also need to factor in breed.

TBs are 85% of mature height at 6months

WB/natives only roughly 79% of mature height at 6 months...

So they say anyway but crikey...... factor in ALLLLLLLLL the possible variables, strange things do happen :D