Help! Lunatic on controlled rehab...

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Personally when I was in your situation I took my horse to work where we have a Walker.
I'm currently doing 2 rehabs at work on the Walker. I gauge it and use a chifney to get one on and off if there's anything going on. (Although I always try and time it that I'll be alone on the yard as they are quieter)
Yes they have pulled some major shapes on the Walker but they do it led and we are safer this way!

twiggy2

Visit site
Have to say I often think people doing rehab are slightly mad.. For me the stress to the horse that leads to it exhibiting these beahviours is massive, its mental health is a big concern and the risk to handler is massive. I often wonder how many vets would stick to it if they had to do the work! There aren't that many problems that being in a 'big' stable wouldn't be better for and majority of horses in a small barn style set up are actually quite calm in my experience. obviously dont go against vet advice but ask them why he can't have a bigge pen

This.
Many vets don't actually do anything with horses outside of work, so they don't actually understand what they are expecting owners to deal with, they don't handle or ride them. One very well respected ( and pretty good vet medically) does not even know how to put a headcollar on ( I am serious) it does not mean he does not know what he is talking about medically or that he is not good surgically but it does mean his expectations of what is achievable are sometimes not realistic.
I won't use a sedation on a daily basis or for handling as they can (and do) explode out of the fog it appears to put them in, when they do as mentioned by a previous poster they are more dangerous as their awareness is altered.
It is not worth getting yourself injured and airs and graces about ground are not controlled exercise anyway so pointless in themselves.
Good luck to everyone going through it which ever way you do it, it is time consuming and exhausting.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
So an update on the lunatic! Managed to get to 20 mins of walking week with the aid of 2 people (neither volunteered again!). Then the weather turned colder and he got worse, so dosed up on 30 acp he went in the big pen, open to the outside one side, barn on the other. Much happier horse in himself, moved between pen day time and stable at night in a headcollar with no stupidity!

So get to yesterday, time for xrays, hold breath and cross fingers time. Well, he demonstrated how well he was feeling in his 'i dont need to touch the floor assessment', but as the vet said doesnt seem to favour any particular leg!!

Well, the xrays are, and i quote, 'perfect'. Yay!!!! :) Now it needs to stop snowing so we can start to put him outside. Got something stronger than the acp for that after his little display as its a far enough distance from the barn.

And i can ride him again!!! Not sure i want to sit on him till hes got turn out though!!!!

Wish us just a bit more luck. So nearly there.

nicelittle

Visit site
That's good news!
We had similar this time last year, trying to start our pony again after box rest for about a ŷear! Horrible!
It was very hard to hand walk him, and took two people, one each side!
I made sure he was turned out a bit before I got on again, and it took nine several months to settle into bring ridden - I did use a bit of sedalin to help there, although I don't like riding when they're under the influence of it. Good luck!

claracanter

Visit site
That's good news!
We had similar this time last year, trying to start our pony again after box rest for about a ŷear! Horrible!
It was very hard to hand walk him, and took two people, one each side!
I made sure he was turned out a bit before I got on again, and it took nine several months to settle into bring ridden - I did use a bit of sedalin to help there, although I don't like riding when they're under the influence of it. Good luck!
Took mine many months to settle into being ridden again but this was after he had been turned away for 7 months. I didn't realise it would be so hard, nobody tells you about that bit. Anyway I used sedalin to start with and then ACP as he got calmer but he was not on anything like the amount your boy is on. Without it he was completely wired but 1 tablet of ACP and he's a complete dope. Good luck with it, it's not easy but at least you know there are others who have been through the same.